Lyon & Provence 2022 Viking River Cruise
Tour lands of fine wine & delicious cuisine on this 8-day Rhône cruise. Excite your palate in Lyon, the capital of French gastronomy. Tap into your inner Van Gogh at an Arles painting class. Discover Roman Provence at Les Arènes amphitheater and the Pont du Gard. Explore Avignon’s Palace of the Popes. Savour Beaujolais wines. Hunt for truffles and see how chèvre cheese is made. Come witness the beauty that inspired artists like Cézanne and Chagall.
Fly to Marseille. Transfer from the airport to your ship, docked in Avignon. After boarding, take free time to explore this quaint town on the scenic Rhône River, or join our “welcome walk” to stretch your legs and get oriented.
Disembark after breakfast and take a walking tour of Arles with its diverse architectural highlights. Experience the city’s vibrant colours and striking quality of light that have inspired artists. Arles is also the site of some impressive Roman ruins, including Les Arènes, an arena that seats 20,000 and is still in use, as well as Romanesque monuments such as the Church of Saint-Trôphime, completed in the 15th century. Your afternoon is free to explore Arles on your own. Dinner is served as you depart for Avignon this evening.
This morning, set out on a guided walk of Avignon, nicknamed the “City of Popes” because it was home to seven popes from 1309 to 1377. Stroll through the historic center, stop at the picturesque Pont d’Avignon and walk the Place de l’Horloge. Continue to the renowned Palace of the Popes for a guided tour through this rambling maze of Gothic architecture that served as papal residence, fortress, church and palace. After the tour, enjoy an afternoon at leisure exploring Avignon. You can join the optional tour to Châteauneuf-du-Pape, visiting the vineyards and tasting the famous wine. This evening, enjoy dinner on board your ship as you depart for Viviers
This morning join a walking tour of Viviers’ Old Town with its medieval and Renaissance buildings. Once a 5th-century Roman settlement, today the cobblestone streets are dominated by the 12th-century St. Vincent Cathedral. This afternoon, you set sail to Tournon.
Board the Train de l’Ardèche this morning for a locomotive ride through the deep gorges of the Ardèche plateau, cut by the Doux River. Return to your ship and enjoy lunch on board as we cruise past dramatic landscapes. Arrive in Vienne this afternoon, a beautiful town with an ancient Roman past. Visit the Temple of Augustus and Livia, the Roman amphitheater and the Gothic Cathedral of St. Maurice on a walking tour before dinner on board the ship. You remain docked in Vienne this evening.
After breakfast, disembark in Lyon for a tour of this UNESCO World Heritage Site. Begin with a drive to the top of Fourvière Hill for amazing views of the city. Continue with a guided visit to the Basilica of Notre Dame and drive through town past the magnificent St. Jean Cathedral and the Palace of Justice. Then take a walking tour through the cobblestone streets of Vieux Lyon (Old Town), with free time to shop for souvenirs or sample some of the fine French cuisine for which Lyon is world-famous. Your ship remains docked overnight.
After breakfast, take a scenic drive through the rolling hills of Beaujolais, where viticultural tradition runs deep. See the legendary Moulin-à-Vent, the windmill that gives its name to one of the most prestigious wines of the region, learn about the art of winemaking in a small museum and enjoy a tasting in one of Beaujolais’s famous cellars. Return to your ship for lunch and enjoy the rest of your day at leisure. As always, your Program Director can help you plan your free time.
After breakfast, disembark and proceed to the Lyon airport for your return flight. Or, extend your time in France with three exciting nights in Paris, one of the world’s most romantic cities.
Please note all departure dates are listed in the enquiry form.
|Date||Fares from (pp)|
Extend your stay, pre or post cruise, with these great value cruise extensions! Simply give our award winning team a call for full details on 0800 810 8220
- 3 Nights pre cruise stay in the French Riviera from only £599pp
- 3 Nights post cruise stay in Paris from only £649pp
- 3 Nights post cruise stay in Burgundy's Vineyards from only £949pp
- Onboard gratuities
- Return scheduled flights from the UK from a choice of up to 14 regional airports at no extra cost. Please call for details
- 8 days on board in a river-view stateroom
- 7 guided tours, including 3 UNESCO World Heritage sites: Lyon’s historic centre, Roman monuments in Arles, Avignon’s historic centre
- All meals on board: 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners, featuring regional specialities
- Specially selected house wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner on board
- Free Wi-Fi on board (restrictions apply)
- Sample a variety of French cheeses; find out how to make your own fondant au chocolate; try some local wines; enjoy lively French accordion tunes; attend lectures on current affairs and the painters of Provence; see how silk printing is done today; visit a local market
- All port charges, airport taxes and overseas transfers
- Complimentary Business Class upgrade when you book an Explorer Suite. Subject to availability