Lyon & Provence 2020 Viking River Cruise
Excite your palate in Lyon, capital of French gastronomy. Savour Beaujolais wines. Hunt for truffles and see how chèvre cheese is made. Discover Roman Provence at the Pont du Gard and Les Arènes amphitheatre. Explore Avignon’s Palace of the Popes. Tap into your inner Van Gogh at an Arles painting class. Come witness the beauty that inspired artists like Cézanne and Chagall on this 8-day Rhône cruise.
From Lyon airport we take you to your award-winning Viking Longship where you can settle in and relax. Your time is free to begin to explore this vibrant and sophisticated city, built where the Saône meets the Rhône.
After breakfast, tour the city of Lyon, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Begin with a drive to the top of Fourvière Hill for amazing views of the city. Continue with a guided visit to the Basilica of Notre Dame and drive through town past the magnificent St. Jean Cathedral and the Palace of Justice. Then take a walking tour through the cobbled streets of Vieux Lyon (Old Town), where you’ll have free time to shop for souvenirs or sample some of the fine French cuisine for which Lyon is world famous
After breakfast, take a scenic drive through the rolling hills of Beaujolais, where viticultural tradition runs deep. See the legendary Moulin-à-Vent, the windmill that gives its name to one of the most prestigious wines of the region, learn about the art of winemaking in a small museum and enjoy a tasting in one of the Beaujolais’s famous cellars. Return to your ship for lunch. Enjoy the rest of your day at leisure. As always, your Program Director can help you plan your free time
This morning take a walking tour of Vienne, a beautiful town with an ancient Roman past. Visit the Temple of Augustus and Livia, the Roman amphitheater and the Gothic Cathedral of St. Maurice; then spend some time discovering more of this engaging riverside town on your own. In the afternoon, enjoy the rolling vine-clad banks of the river, as you sail through its wide meanders to Tournon. After dinner, enjoy a stroll along the riverbanks under the plane trees.
All aboard the Train de l’Ardèche this morning for a locomotive ride through the deep gorges of the Ardèche plateau, cut by the Doux River. You’ll return to your ship and enjoy lunch aboard as we cruise to Viviers, an engaging little town in a mountainous setting. After dinner, join your Program Director for an evening stroll through Old Town with its medieval and Renaissance buildings.
This morning, set out on a guided walk of Avignon, nicknamed “City of Popes” because it was home to seven popes from 1309 to 1377. Stroll through the historic center, stop at the picturesque Pont d’Avignon and walk the Place de l’Horloge. Continue to the renowned Palace of the Popes for a guided tour through this rambling maze of Gothic architecture that served as papal residence, fortress, church and palace. You can join the optional tour to Châteauneuf-du-Pape, visiting the vineyards and tasting the famous wine. Lunch and dinner are served aboard. Your ship remains docked overnight.
Disembark after breakfast and take a walking tour of Arles with its diverse architectural highlights. Experience the city’s vibrant colors and striking quality of light that have inspired artists. Arles is also the site of some impressive Roman ruins, including Les Arènes, an arena that seats 20,000 and is still in use, as well as Romanesque monuments such as the Church of Saint-Trôphime, completed in the 15th century. Return aboard for lunch followed by an afternoon on your own to explore or shop for handcrafted gifts. As always, your Program Director can help you plan your free time. Dinner is served as you depart.
After breakfast, we take you to Marseille airport for your return flight to the UK.
Please note all departure dates are listed in the enquiry form.
|Date||Fares from (pp)|
|November 2020||£2,695 Cat C French Balcony|
Extend your stay, pre or post cruise, with these great value cruise extensions! Simply give our award winning team a call for full details on 0800 810 8220
- 3 Nights pre cruise stay in the French Riviera from only £599pp
- 3 Nights post cruise stay in Paris from only £649pp
- Savings of up to £650pp on selected dates
- Onboard gratuities
- Return scheduled flights from the UK from a choice of up to 14 regional airports at no extra cost. Please call for details
- 8 days on board in a river-view stateroom
- 7 guided tours, including 3 UNESCO World Heritage sites: Lyon’s historic centre, Roman monuments in Arles, Avignon’s historic centre
- All meals on board: 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners, featuring regional specialities
- Specially selected house wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner on board
- Free Wi-Fi on board (restrictions apply)
- Sample a variety of French cheeses; find out how to make your own fondant au chocolate; try some local wines; enjoy lively French accordion tunes; attend lectures on current affairs and the painters of Provence; see how silk printing is done today; visit a local market
- All port charges, airport taxes and overseas transfers
- Complimentary Business Class upgrade when you book an Explorer Suite. Subject to availability
- PRICE GUARANTEE: Once you have paid in full for your trip, you are safe from any additional charges. Airfare increases, currency fluctuations, increased fuel surcharges, new government taxes—none of these will apply to you.