Danube Waltz 2021 Viking River Cruise
Soak up soothing steam at a Budapest thermal bath. Learn to waltz at a Viennese dance school. Witness daily life in an abbey on an exclusive visit to Göttweig. Savour Austro-Hungarian cuisine in Vienna and Budapest. Explore lesser-known Central European cities like Bratislava and Passau. This 8-day itinerary reveals the best of these places, while cruising leisurely through spectacular scenery.
Arrive in Munich, then transfer to your ship in Passau. After boarding, spend free time exploring, or join the “welcome walk” to stretch your legs and get oriented.
Today you will take a walking tour of this elegant town, called the Dreiflüssestadt (“City on Three Rivers”), which is situated at the confluence of the Danube, Ilz and Inn Rivers. Admire the New Bishop’s Residence and visit the impressive baroque St. Stephen’s Cathedral with its ornate interior. Inside, you are treated to a special concert played on the 17,000-pipe organ, considered Europe’s largest church organ.
Passau organ concert is available May 1–October 31 only and is closed on Sundays.
Wake up in Linz this morning and set off on an all-day excursion to the beautiful Bohemian town of Český Krumlov, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Ride through the scenic Czech countryside and take a walking tour featuring the lovely historic centre of the city with many baroque and Renaissance buildings, dating back hundreds of years. You have some free time to enjoy Krumlov’s charming streets, filled with cafés, shops, galleries and pubs. Maybe stop for lunch in one of the many local restaurants. Return on board for dinner and a late-evening departure.
After scenic sailing this morning through the Wachau Valley, you will arrive in Krems. Enjoy lunch on board, then depart your ship for an exclusive visit to the splendid Benedictine Abbey of Göttweig, a working monastery for more than 900 years. You may also pay a visit to a local vineyard for a tasting before returning to your ship. Dinner will be served on board as we prepare to set sail for Vienna.
Today tour the Austrian capital of Vienna. Ride along the Ringstrasse, which replaced the city walls in the mid-19th century. See some of the city’s baroque architecture, including the world-famous Opera House, St. Stephen’s Cathedral and Hofburg Palace. Return to your ship for lunch. The rest of the day is yours to further explore. As always, your Program Director can help you plan your free time. Or you may take an optional tour to Schönbrunn Palace, the “Versailles of Vienna,” erected in 1778 and graced by a number of formal gardens, Grecian statuary, the world’s oldest zoo and Roman ruins. After dinner, relax or enjoy an optional classical concert.
Arrive in Bratislava this morning and embark on a walking tour of Slovakia’s charming capital with a long and fascinating history. It is the only national capital that borders two other countries, Austria and Hungary. See attractions like the medieval Town Hall complex and fortifications at Michael’s Tower, the baroque Jesuit Church and Gothic St. Martin’s Cathedral, and pass by several Hapsburg-era baroque palaces before returning to your ship. Enjoy scenic cruising this afternoon as we set sail toward Budapest
Today visit highlights of the once separate towns of Buda and Pest, starting with Pest’s National Opera House and historic Heroes’ Square. In Buda, walk along Castle Hill to Fishermen’s Bastion and Matthias Church. Enjoy lunch on board your ship, with the rest of the day to explore on your own. You may wish to visit the Art Nouveau Gellért Spa, or one of the many other lavish facilities in this “City of Healing Waters.” Return to your ship for a traditional Hungarian farewell dinner.
After breakfast, disembark and proceed to the airport for your return flight. Or, extend your journey with 2 additional nights in Budapest, giving yourself more time to explore the bustling Hungarian capital.
Please note all departure dates are listed in the enquiry form.
|Date||Fares from (pp)|
Extend your stay, pre or post cruise, with these great value cruise extensions! Simply give our award winning team a call for full details on 0800 810 8220
- 4 Nights pre cruise stay in Munich & Salzburg from only £1,299pp
- 2 Nights pre cruise stay in Budapest from only £299pp
- 3 Nights post cruise stay in Prague from only £549pp
- Onboard gratuities
- Return scheduled flights from the UK from a choice of up to 14 regional airports at no extra cost. Please call for details
- 8-day cruise with river-view stateroom
- 6 guided tours with audio headset
- All on board meals: 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches & 7 dinners, featuring regional specialties and including Welcome Cocktail Reception & Dinner
- Complimentary wine, beer and soft drinks with on board dinner and lunch
- Visit 4 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Culture Curriculum: Enjoy musical entertainment highlighting Austrian and Hungarian classics; attend lectures on Mozart and Viennese coffeehouses; learn some basics of German language; find out how Austrians make their apple strudel
- All port charges
- Free Wi-Fi, connection speed may vary
- PRICE GUARANTEE: Once you have paid in full for your trip, you are safe from any additional charges. Airfare increases, currency fluctuations, increased fuel surcharges, new government taxes—none of these will apply to you.