Châteaux, Rivers & Wine 2022 Viking River Cruise
Explore Bordeaux like never before on this 8-day cruise — a region synonymous with fine wine and finer living. Discover the ports, vineyards, farms and forests of Aquitaine, once Europe’s richest kingdom. See Bordeaux’s fountains and cellars. Hunt for truffles in Périgord, and create your own personal blend of Cognac at the Camus distillery. Savour France’s finest oysters fresh from the bay at Arcachon. Sip Saint-Émilion, Médoc and Sauternes in their own "terroir".
Fly to Bordeaux. You are met at the airport and taken to your ship. The rest of the day is yours to relax or explore Bordeaux on your own. Second only to Paris in French historic monuments, Bordeaux’s thoughtfully preserved 18th-century urban areas make it a desirable film location, and its graceful port on the Garonne River is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Later this evening, you may want to join an escorted evening walk of Bordeaux. While its monuments are beautiful during the day, they are stunning at night.
Tour the city centre this morning and see some of Bordeaux’s highlights, including the Place des Quinconces, one of the largest squares in Europe; the neoclassical Grand Théâtre de Bordeaux; and several spectacular churches. Afterward, enjoy free time to explore the city’s vibrant pedestrian area. Later this afternoon, you sail upstream along the Garonne River to Cadillac, a small town with a towering castle that gave its name to the American car brand.
Begin your day with a walking tour of Cadillac and then head across the river for your excursion to Sauternes. View picturesque landscapes where vineyards blanket the countryside hills and visit a château to learn how their prized wines are made. Enjoy a tasting before returning to your ship.
Disembark this morning for a leisurely stroll to Libourne’s picturesque city square, lined with buildings dating as far back as the 16th century; or take part in one of two optional excursions: an exploration of the Bergerac area in the Dordogne to learn more about truffles, a great French delicacy; or a wine tasting, at a nearby château, of some local vintages from the Saint-Émilion and Pomerol appellations. Later this afternoon, take a tour to Saint-Émilion, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, where you see the town’s superb medieval lanes and delightful views of the surrounding vineyards from the upper town. Spend a pleasant afternoon exploring the town’s streets and shops.
Enjoy a leisurely morning in Bourg as you take a stroll through the historic village. Or, you may choose to take an optional excursion to the charming medieval town of Cognac, birthplace of one of the world’s best-known types of brandy. Here, you take a tour of the Camus family business, one of the most tradition-steeped Cognac houses in the area, and try your hand at blending. During lunch, your ship sets sail for Blaye. This afternoon, take a guided tour of the extraordinary 17th-century citadel, dramatically set on a rock beside the river. The citadel of Blaye, its city walls and two other forts are collectively listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Relax on board your ship this morning as we sail downstream, passing islands and gentle slopes, arriving in Pauillac in the early afternoon. Enjoy a wine country tour and tasting, including the area’s famous full-flavoured Margaux. This evening, travel through the rolling vineyard-laced hills to dinner at a château, accompanied by the château’s own wines.
Enjoy a final morning of cruising as we make our way back to Bordeaux. You have the afternoon at leisure, giving you more time to appreciate the well-preserved architecture of Jacques Ange Gabriel and son, and to taste the city’s cuisine and wine appellations. Perhaps pick up a few bottles to take home with you. Alternatively, you may choose from a number of optional excursions. Take a full-day tour to Arcachon, a commune on the Atlantic coast. Enjoy a boat ride along the estuary to Cap Ferret, and taste the oysters, a local delicacy. Perhaps learn how wine barrels are made and enjoy the vintage aged within them on an insightful excursion. Or, participate in a market visit with the Viking Chef to see where the local chefs of Bordeaux find their fruit, vegetables, meats and fish.
After a final onboard breakfast, disembark and be taken to the airport for your flight home. Or, extend your journey with three nights in Paris.
Please note all departure dates are listed in the enquiry form.
|Date||Fares from (pp)|
Extend your stay, pre or post cruise, with these great value cruise extensions! Simply give our award winning team a call for full details on 0800 810 8220
- 3 Nights pre cruise stay in Loire Valley from only £999pp
- 3 Nights post cruise stay in Paris from only £599pp
- Savings of £1,000pp - book by 30th June 2021
- Onboard gratuities
- Return scheduled flights from the UK from a choice of up to 14 regional airports at no extra cost. Please call for details
- 8 days on board in a river-view stateroom
- 6 guided tours, including 3 UNESCO World Heritage sites: Bordeaux’s historic centre, Citadel of Blaye, Saint-Émilion
- Included meals: 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners, featuring regional specialities
- Specially selected house wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner on board
- Free Wi-Fi on board (restrictions will apply)
- Enjoy sampling Bordeaux wines, participate in classes from a master sommelier, learn ’how to say it in French', and how to pair the perfect wine with every meal
- All port charges, airport taxes and overseas transfers
- Complimentary Business Class upgrade when you book an Explorer Suite. Subject to availability
- PRICE GUARANTEE: Once you have paid in full for your trip, you are safe from any additional charges. Airfare increases, currency fluctuations, increased fuel surcharges, new government taxes—none of these will apply to you.