Rhine Holiday Markets 2021 Uniworld River Cruise
As seen on Cruising with Jane McDonald on Channel 5
A festive journey destined to delight travellers of all ages. Switzerland, France and Germany provide the perfect backdrop for this true connoisseur’s Christmas market cruise. Discover the roots of our Christmas traditions as you explore some of Europe’s most charming towns. Savour tantalizing once-a-year treats with Uniworld’s “Taste of Christmas” programme, including gingerbread, crepes with cinnamon and warm spiced wine.
Arrive at EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg. If your cruise package includes a group arrival transfer, or if you have purchased a private arrival transfer, you will be greeted by a Uniworld representative and transferred to the ship.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Basel walking tour with Christmas market
Basel is a cultural and artistic powerhouse, with all sorts of galleries, theaters and museums. And at this time of year, the city’s Christmas Market draws visitors from all over Europe, as does its Christmas Street, lined with more than 100 beautifully decorated and illuminated Christmas trees. Do you have a special wish for Christmas? Write it in the Wish Book, which lies open in Basel’s 17th-century Town Hall during Advent, waiting for residents and visitors to express their hopes and dreams for the holiday—or for the world. A special Captain’s Welcome Reception and Dinner will be prepared for you this evening.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Choice of Strasbourg walking tour with Christmas market or “Taste of Christmas” Strasbourg walking tour
Strasbourg is invariably described as quaint, a rather overused word that in this case is perfectly apropos. It’s also been known as the “Crossroads of Europe” for its strategic location halfway between Paris and Prague. With a friendly local expert, see this historic town with its cobbled lanes, half-timbered homes, giant stork nests and impossible-to-resist pastry shops that will win your heart. You won’t want to miss the holiday treats like bûche de Noël, the delicious Christmas cake made to look like a yule log.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Choice of Heidelberg tour with Christmas market or Private Doktorenhof vinegar estate visit and tasting
Your ship left France behind and sailed into Germany during the wee hours of the morning. If you speak no German, here’s one phrase you might want to learn now: “Fröhliche Weihnachten,” or “Merry Christmas!” Today you’ll have two choices: Venture into the storied city of Heidelberg, home to the oldest university in the country, or visit the Doktorenhof vinegar estate for a special vinegar tasting. The atmospheric cellar is like no other you’ll ever experience, and the candlelit tasting room is decked for the holidays.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Wiesbaden Twinkling Star Christmas Market & Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instruments Museum with Christmas Market
Mainz’s Old Town brims with specialty shops tucked into lovingly restored buildings. You’ll find jewelry, leather goods, books, toys—something special for every special person on your list. Or opt to explore neighbouring Wiesbaden’s Christmas Market. However you choose to spend your time in Mainz, you’ll head back to the ship for a short cruise to Rüdesheim, which, like many cities along the Rhine, dates back to Roman times, when the Rhine was the northern border of the empire. Today, Rüdesheim is famous for its beauty and its entertaining alley of shops and wine bars called the Drosselgasse.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Koblenz walking tour with Christmas market
Spend a spectacular morning onboard your luxurious boutique ship as you sail the Upper Middle Rhine Valley. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, this stretch of the Rhine is extraordinarily picturesque: Castles perch atop steep cliffs above the water and each quaint village is marked by the spire of its historic church. After sailing past 40 miles (65 kilometers) of gorgeous scenery, you’ll reach the famous intersection of the Rhine and the Moselle. Here, where the two rivers meet, you’ll find the enchanting town of Koblenz. Watch the waters of the Moselle gush into the Rhine as you stand on the spit of land called German Corner before embarking on a walking tour of Koblenz’s historical treasures.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Cologne walking tour with Cologne Cathedral visit and Christmas markets
Your local expert will show you favourite haunts around the Old Town and share some of the cathedral’s most intriguing and magical secrets with you. A special Captain’s Farewell Reception and Dinner will be prepared for you this evening.
Disembark the ship. If your cruise package includes a group departure transfer, or if you have purchased a private departure transfer, you will be transferred to Cologne Bonn Airport for your flight home.
|Date||Price from (pp)|
|28 November 2021^|
|05 December 2021|
|12 December 2021^|
|19 December 2021|
- Savings of up to 30% if booked by 31st March 2021
- Return flights from a selection of UK airports, supplements may apply
- 7-night cruise in a riverview stateroom on the exquisite S.S. Antoinette
- Lavishly appointed riverview staterooms and suites have handcrafted Savoir of England beds, high-thread count 100% Egyptian cotton sheets and European duvets, and a menu of pillow options
- Free Internet and Wi-Fi access
- 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners. All meals onboard, prepared using the finest and freshest ingredients
- Captain's Welcome and Farewell Receptions
- Welcome and Farewell Gala Dinners
- Unlimited beverages onboard, including fine wine, beer, spirits, soft drinks, specialty coffee and tea, and mineral water
- 6 days of excursions, including "Choice Is Yours" options, all fully hosted by English-speaking local experts
- Guided "Taste of Christmas" programs
- State-of-the-art Quietvox portable audio-headset system on all excursions
- Use of Nordic walking sticks
- 3 countries: France, Germany, Switzerland
- 3 UNESCO World Heritage sites
- Services of an experienced Uniworld Cruise Manager
- All transfers on arrival and departure days
- Captivating onboard local entertainment
- Cultural enrichment, including a Signature Lecture: "European Christmas Traditions, from the Nutcracker to the Tannenbaum"