Paris & Normandy 2021 Uniworld River Cruise
Cruise from Paris through Normandy's countryside, uncovering its many charms: Richard the Lionheart's Chateau Gaillard, the medieval capital of Rouen, Monet's beloved home in Giverny and the famed Normandy beaches.
Arrive at Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport, where you will be transferred to the ship.
Today is a celebration of northern France’s natural beauty, with an excursion to a splendid château and gardens situated in an equally grand setting, plus a chance to immerse yourself in the very landscapes that inspired Impressionist master Claude Monet. Visit the hilltop Château de La Roche-Guyon, surrounded by beautiful gardens and offering sweeping views over the Seine. Later, you can visit the home and gardens of Claude Monet. Or take in the beautiful French countryside in a more invigorating way, with a guided bike ride from Vernon to Giverny.
This evening, a special Captain’s Welcome Reception and Dinner will be prepared for you.
Choice of Château La Roche-Guyon or "Let's Go" hike on the Crests trail or Monet’s gardens at Giverny or “Let's Go” bike ride from Vernon to Giverny
Walk in the footsteps of greatness in Normandy’s medieval capital, a city with a historic quarter that remains amazingly intact. From the cathedral Monet painted dozens of times to the cross marking the spot where Joan of Arc was martyred, Rouen is a treasure trove for the culturally curious. The roll call of famous people who lived or died in Rouen is long and varied—Richard the Lionheart, Joan of Arc, Gustave Flaubert and Claude Monet are among them.
Featured Excursion: Rouen walking tour, the Dukes of Normandy’s capital
Caudebec-en-Caux, a lovely little town on the right bank of the Seine Estuary, is your base for one of two very different excursions. You could drive through the beautiful Calvados countryside to Honfleur, a delightful seaside harbour and city of painters, or head to the windy cliffs of Étretat for a game of golf.
Choice of Honfleur walking tour or “Let's Go” golfing in Étretat
There are moments when we travel that move us on an otherworldly level—experiences that stir a profound emotional connection. The Normandy beaches certainly have that effect. On your full-day outing, you’ll visit Normandy’s beaches, including Utah Beach and Ste-Mère-Église, with a choice to venture to either the American, British and Australian or Canadian beaches. After, you’ll go to the American cemetery and partake in a private ceremony at the Omaha Beach Memorial—a sentimental remembrance of Operation Overlord.
Choice of Normandy Beaches: highlights of American sites or Normandy Beaches: highlights of British & Australian sites or Normandy Beaches: highlights of Canadian sites
How did France’s rulers live over the centuries? Step into the private rooms of the Palace of Versailles, the lavish palace built by the Sun King, to find out.
A special Captain’s Farewell Reception and Dinner will be prepared for you this evening.
Choice of Versailles Palace secret apartments or “Versailles Gardens and Queens Hamlet”
Whether you’re a first-time visitor to the “City of Light” or you’ve been here many times before, there’s something for everyone today in Paris. Enjoy a panoramic overview of the city, join a local expert for a walk through two much-loved neighbourhoods, or pedal your way along the Left Bank, a fresh and fun way to take in the sights.
Choice of Paris city tour or “Do as the Locals Do” Île de la Cité and Latin Quarter or “Let's Go” Seine riverbanks bike ride or “Heart of Paris” Seine River cruise
Disembark the ship and transfer to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport for your flight home.
|Date||Price from (pp)|
|24 October 2021||£1,799|
- Self Drive and save up to £500 per couple
- Return flights from a selection of UK airports, supplements may apply
- 7-night cruise in a riverview stateroom on Super Ship S.S. Joie de Vivre
- Lavishly appointed riverview staterooms and suites have handcrafted Savoir of England beds, high-thread count 100% Egyptian cotton sheets and European duvets, and a menu of pillow options
- All transfers on arrival and departure days
- All gratuities, both onboard and onshore
- Services of an experienced Uniworld Cruise Manager
- All meals onboard, prepared using the finest and freshest ingredients
- Free Internet and Wi-Fi access
- 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 7 dinners
- Captain's Welcome and Farewell Receptions & Welcome and Farewell Gala Dinners
- Unlimited beverages onboard, including fine wine, beer, spirits, soft drinks, specialty coffee and tea, and mineral water
- 6 days of excursions, including “Choice Is Yours” options, all fully hosted by English-speaking local experts
- Guided "Let's Go" and "Do as the Locals Do" programs
- 3 UNESCO World Heritage site
- State-of-the-art Quietvox portable audio headset system on all excursions
- Use of bicycles and Nordic walking sticks
- Captivating onboard local entertainment
- Cultural enrichment, including a Signature Lecture: "The Seine River in Impressionist Paintings"