Douro River Valley 2022 Uniworld River Cruise
An extraordinary journey designed for culturally curious travelers. As you follow the Douro River through Portugal and into Spain, you’ll cruise past steeply terraced hillsides, quaint villages and acres of ripe vineyards. Enjoy private tastings of Port. Explore Porto’s historic Ribeira district, home to iconic rabelo boats, cutting-edge cuisine and a thriving art scene. Wind your way through the dramatic landscapes of the UNESCO-designated Douro Valley, heading ashore to visit charming quintas and meet the winemakers who operate them. In Salamanca, Spain, you’ll see the city’s famous university. Return to Portugal with a visit to the fortified village of Castelo Rodrigo and historic Guimarães. There’s no better way to discover Europe’s best-kept secret than this scenic and all-inclusive river cruise!
Arrive in Porto, the port city at the mouth of the Douro.
Portugal’s second city (after Lisbon), Porto gave its name to the nation’s most famous export, Port wine, and to the nation itself. Today, choose between two distinctively Portuguese ways to explore Porto.
Included Excursion: Choice of Porto city tour or “Do as the Locals Do” Porto walking tour
Today is all about wine, which has been cultivated in the Douro River Valley since ancient Roman times. Get a crash course on the history of Port during your visit to the Douro Museum.
Included Excursion: Douro Museum & Lunch at a local quinta
Head ashore for a choice of excursions, including a tasting at a prestigious Port wine estate or a vineyard hike with a wine tasting at a local quinta.
Choice of Quinta do Seixo guided tour with tasting or Vineyard hike and wine tasting at a local quinta
Today, you can visit the historic university town of Salamanca—the “Golden City”—famous for its sand-coloured buildings and abundance of churches. Feel the centuries fall away as your ship winds its way through the pristine, dramatic UNESCO-protected landscapes of the Douro River Valley.
Salamanca - the Golden City and Spain's oldest university
Go medieval today at Castelo Rodrigo, both the name of a hilltop castle as well as the village that surrounds it. The view from the top is incredible and the village is a charming place to ramble, relax and replenish. Or if you wish, you can also lace up your hiking boots and unleash your inner Indiana Jones with an up-close gander at some prehistoric carvings at an archaeological park.
Choice of Castelo Rodrigo or Archaeological Park of the Côa Valley
Explore Guimaraes, the town where Portugal was born. Its well-preserved architecture and stylish young residents make it a pleasure to visit. Or opt for a leisurely walking tour through Ribeira’s quaint cobbled streets. In the evening, a special Captain’s Farewell Reception and Dinner will be prepared for you.
Included Excursion: Choice of Guimaraes city tour or Ribeira walking tour
Disembark the ship. If your cruise/tour package includes a group departure transfer or if you have purchased a private departure transfer, you will be transferred to Porto Airport for your flight home.
- Return flights from a selection of UK airports, supplements may apply
- 7-night cruise in a riverview stateroom onboard the majestic S.S. Sao Gabriel
- Services of an experienced Uniworld Cruise Manager
- All transfers on arrival and departure days
- All gratuities, both onboard and onshore
- Captivating onboard local entertainment
- Free Internet and Wi-Fi access
- All meals onboard, prepared using the finest and freshest ingredients
- Welcome and Farewell Gala Dinners & a Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions
- Unlimited beverages onboard, including fine wine, beer, spirits, soft drinks, specialty coffee and tea, and mineral water
- 6 days of excursions, including “Choice Is Yours” options, all fully hosted by English-speaking local experts
- Multiple UNESCO World Heritage sites
- Guided "Go Active," "Do as the Locals Do," "Village Day" and "Gentle Walking" programs
- State-of-the-art Quietvox portable audio-headset system on all excursions
- Use of bicycles and Nordic walking sticks