Castles Along the Rhine 2022 Uniworld River Cruise
No solo supplement on selected dates!
Find inspiration in the romantic, soul-stirring beauty of the fabled Rhine. Flowers tumble from baskets lining streets of half-timbered houses, and lights glint off quiet canals. A mighty river carries ships and cargo through a landscape shaped by time and history. The spires of medieval churches and castles appear around each bend in the river, and vineyards climb the verdant hillsides.
Cruise along the Rhine—Germany on one side, France on the other. Discover Alsace, whose dual French and German heritage has given it fabulous food and a winemaking tradition that goes back to the Romans. Marvel at castles that were once mighty fortresses and get an insider’s look at one of the only castles on the Rhine that has never been destroyed, Marksburg Castle. Visit historic cities, including ancient Cologne and picturesque Strasbourg; stroll through the fairytale town of Rüdesheim; and taste delightful white wines in the villages where the grapes are grown. Beethoven and Byron loved the romantic landscapes of the Rhine River, and the beauty that inspired them is still yours to experience.
Arrive at EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg. If your cruise package includes a group arrival transfer or if you have purchased a private arrival transfer, you will be greeted by a Uniworld representative and transferred to the ship.
Breisach is your gateway to the Alsatian wine road and your launching point for an excursion along the celebrated Route des Vins, which hugs the foothills of the Vosges mountain range, or a city tour of Freiburg.FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Choice of Alsatian "Village Day" OR Freiburg city tour.
See Strasbourg on foot with an insightful local expert, where this historic town with its cobbled lanes, half-timbered homes, giant stork nests and impossible-to-resist pastry shops will win your heart. Kehl, directly across the river from Strasbourg, will be your ship’s base while you explore the Alsatian capital. If you’re feeling adventurous, take advantage of Uniworld’s bicycles or Nordic walking sticks and explore the banks of the river.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Choice of Strasbourg panoramic tour with cathedral OR Altasian house with tasting.
Speyer—“spire” in English—is well named, since the four red towers of the Romanesque cathedral dominate the Old Town.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Choice of Baroque Palace of Mannheim or Private Doktorenhof vinegar estate visit and tasting.
Experience Germany’s fabled Rhine River in the towns of Rüdesheim and Boppard. Enjoy a private tasting of estate-grown Rieslings at Castle Vollrads, take a stroll through beautiful Boppard, or hike through some of the most beautiful landscapes that line the Rhine. This morning, you’ll cruise out of Rüdesheim and into the sublimely beautiful and romantic Upper Middle Rhine Valley.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Choice of Castle Vollrads wine tasting or "Let's Go" Rhine hiking or Rüdesheim wine village and panoramas of Niederwald Monument or Boppard village stroll
Get to know Koblenz, a historic town with a colourful past and eclectic architecture, and enjoy a visit to the stunningly medieval Marksburg Castle. As you come upon picture-perfect Koblenz, you’ll sail past Deutsches Eck (German Corner) with its historic monument to Kaiser Wilhelm I.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: "Let's Go" bike the castles. Choice of Koblenz walking tour OR Marksburg Castle visit.
History buffs will enjoy an expertly led tour through Cologne’s Old Town, where three medieval gates remain standing, as does the old city hall with its Renaissance façade. Wander through the city’s historical centre and take in its charming atmosphere, narrow alleyways flanked by old houses and countless breweries. No matter how you choose to explore Old Town, you’ll also have ample free time to explore on your own.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Cologne walking tour.
Disembark the ship and transfer to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport for your flight home, or extend your stay in Amsterdam.
- Return flights or Eurostar from the UK, some supplements may apply to regional airports.
- 7-night cruise in a riverview stateroom on the exquisite S.S. Antoinette, River Queen or River Empress
- All transfers on arrival and departure days
- All gratuities, both onboard and onshore
- Exclusive Generational Family-Friendly Programme on select summer departures
- Lavishly appointed riverview staterooms and suites have handcrafted Savoir of England beds, high-thread count 100% Egyptian cotton sheets and European duvets, and a menu of pillow options
- All meals onboard, prepared using the finest and freshest ingredients
- Captain's Welcome and Farewell Receptions & Welcome and Farewell Gala Dinners
- Unlimited beverages onboard, including fine wine, beer, spirits, soft drinks, specialty coffee and tea, and mineral water
- 6 days of excursions, including "Choice Is Yours" options, all fully hosted by English-speaking local experts
- Guided “Let's Go,” “Do as the Locals Do” and “Village Day” programs
- State-of-the-art Quietvox portable audio headset system on all excursions
- Use of bicycles and Nordic walking sticks
- Free Internet and Wi-Fi access
- 4 countries: France, Germany, The Netherlands, Switzerland
- 3 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Services of an experienced Uniworld Cruise Manager
- Captivating onboard local entertainment
- Cultural enrichment, including a Signature Lecture: "The Rhine River: Shaping European History from the Romans to the European Union"