Castles Along the Rhine 2021 Uniworld River Cruise
Flowers tumble from baskets lining streets of half-timbered houses, and lights glint off quiet canals. A mighty river carries ships and cargo through a landscape shaped by time and history. The spires of medieval churches and castles appear around each bend in the river, and vineyards climb the verdant hillsides.
Cruise along the Rhine—Germany on one side, France on the other. Discover Alsace, whose dual French and German heritage has given it fabulous food and a winemaking tradition that goes back to the Romans. Marvel at castles that were once mighty fortresses and get an insider’s look at one of the only castles on the Rhine that has never been destroyed, Marksburg Castle. Visit historic cities, including ancient Cologne and picturesque Strasbourg; stroll through the fairytale towns of Riquewihr, Kaysersberg and Rüdesheim; and taste delightful white wines in the villages where the grapes are grown. Beethoven and Byron loved the romantic landscapes of the Rhine River, and the beauty that inspired them is still yours to experience.
Arrive at Euro Airport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg, where you will be transferred to the ship.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Choice of Alsatian "Village Day" OR Freiburg city tour.
This morning, enjoy leisure time as you sail the scenic Upper Rhine to Breisach. A special Captain’s Welcome Reception and Dinner will be prepared for you this evening. Breisach is your gateway to the Alsatian wine road and your launching point for an excursion along the celebrated Route des Vins, which hugs the foothills of the Vosges mountain range, or a city tour of Freiburg.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Choice of Strasbourg panoramic tour with cathedral OR Altasian house with tasting.
See Strasbourg on foot with an insightful local expert, where this historic town with its cobbled lanes, half-timbered homes, giant stork nests and impossible-to-resist pastry shops will win your heart. Kehl, directly across the river from Strasbourg, will be your ship’s base while you explore the Alsatian capital. If you’re feeling adventurous, take advantage of Uniworld’s bicycles or Nordic walking sticks and explore the banks of the river.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Choice of Baroque Palace of Mannheim or Private Doktorenhof vinegar estate visit and tasting.
Expect the unexpected in Speyer, where ancient treasures harmoniously co-exist with modern day innovation. For something really unexpected, venture into a spooky, candlelit tasting room to sample flavourful elixirs made from wine vinegars. Utterly unique and surprisingly delicious, and something you’ll experience with no other river cruise line. The ship docks in Mannheim, where you’ll have to choose between boarding a motorcoach to the nearby town of Speyer for a guided walking tour or taking in an exclusive tasting at a local vinegar estate. A shuttle is available to take you to and from Speyer if you wish to explore it on your own. Romans founded the city, and the Historical Museum of the Palatinate has an interesting collection of Roman antiquities (as well as Celtic and early German objects) you might enjoy investigating.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Choice of exclusive Castle Vollrads wine tasting OR Rüdesheim wine village and panoramas of Niederweald Monument or Boppard village stroll or "Let's GO" Rhine hiking.
Experience Germany’s fabled Rhine River in the towns of Rüdesheim and Boppard. Enjoy a private tasting of estate-grown Rieslings at Castle Vollrads, take a stroll through beautiful Boppard, or hike through some of the most beautiful landscapes that line the Rhine.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: "Let's Go" bike the castles. Choice of Koblenz walking tour OR Marksburg Castle visit.
Get to know Koblenz, a historic town with a colourful past and eclectic architecture, and enjoy a visit to the stunningly medieval Marksburg Castle. As you come upon picture-perfect Koblenz, you’ll sail past Deutsches Eck (German Corner) with its historic monument to Kaiser Wilhelm I.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Cologne walking tour.
History buffs will enjoy an expertly led tour through Cologne’s Old Town, where three medieval gates remain standing, as does the old city hall with its Renaissance façade. Wander through the city’s historical centre and take in its charming atmosphere, narrow alleyways flanked by old houses and countless breweries. No matter how you choose to explore Old Town, you’ll also have ample free time to explore on your own.
Disembark the ship and transfer to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport for your flight home, or extend your stay in Amsterdam.
Spring Sale Price Guide
|Date||Fares from (pp)|
|4 April 2021||was £2,999 NOW £1,999|
|11 April 2021||was £2,999 NOW £1,999|
|18 April 2021||was £2,999 NOW £1,999|
|25 April 2021||was £2,999 NOW £1,999|
|2 May 2021||was £2,999 NOW £1,999|
Generations Family Sailing! Every Uniworld Generations cruise includes special programs, events and excursions designed specifically for your world travellers in training. Receive 25% OFF THE FARE for young travellers, 4 to 17 years old, when traveling with an adult (suites excluded)#
- Save £1,000pp on selected Spring time sailings when you book by 31st August 2020
- Savings of up to 10% if booked by 30th September 2020
- Return flights or Eurostar from the UK, some supplements may apply to regional airports.
- 7-night cruise in a riverview stateroom on the exquisite S.S. Antoinette or River Queen
- All transfers on arrival and departure days
- All gratuities, both onboard and onshore
- Exclusive Generational Family-Friendly Programme on select summer departures
- Lavishly appointed riverview staterooms and suites have handcrafted Savoir of England beds, high-thread count 100% Egyptian cotton sheets and European duvets, and a menu of pillow options
- All meals onboard, prepared using the finest and freshest ingredients
- Captain's Welcome and Farewell Receptions & Welcome and Farewell Gala Dinners
- Unlimited beverages onboard, including fine wine, beer, spirits, soft drinks, specialty coffee and tea, and mineral water
- 6 days of excursions, including "Choice Is Yours" options, all fully hosted by English-speaking local experts
- Guided “Let's Go,” “Do as the Locals Do” and “Village Day” programs
- State-of-the-art Quietvox portable audio headset system on all excursions
- Use of bicycles and Nordic walking sticks
- Free Internet and Wi-Fi access
- 4 countries: France, Germany, The Netherlands, Switzerland
- 3 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Services of an experienced Uniworld Cruise Manager
- Captivating onboard local entertainment
- Cultural enrichment, including a Signature Lecture: "The Rhine River: Shaping European History from the Romans to the European Union"