Burgundy & Provence 2021 Uniworld River Cruise
History buffs, gastronomes and wine connoisseurs alike will all love this cruise! Follow in the footsteps of Van Gogh, Cézanne and Gauguin on this exquisite journey through southern France; the same beautiful countryside and culture that inspired the masters will now inspire you.
Get a Taste of The Rhône with Marcus Wareing & Jilly Goolden on 4th April 2021!
There is no better way of exploring the gastronomic history of the region then with a Michelin starred chef. Uniworld are excited to bring you an exclusive opportunity to join the much loved chef, Marcus Wareing and BBC food and drink host, Jilly Goolden throughout this unforgettable journey.
Exclusive Events with Marcus & Jilly: French gastronomy is a massive part of Marcus’ career. He will give a rare insight into his life with an on board Q&A session. Throughout the cruise you will be immersed in French gastronomy culture. Marcus will join you at a Lyon food market to give a talk on local foods and will host an incredible cooking demonstration to guests on board! Jilly will host multiple wine tastings throughout the cruise and here you will get the opportunity to not only learn more about the incredible wine but have a friendly and open chat about her career and life. Jilly will curate all the wines alongside the Uniworld Executive Chefs for your farewell gala dinner.
Arrive at Marseille International Airport, where you will be transferred to the ship docked in Avignon.
The walled city of Avignon is one of the most fascinating towns in Southern France, with a host of historic gems to explore—including the fortress residence of rebellious Popes who broke from Rome and once lived and ruled here. You’ll see the Palace of the Popes and much more today, and also have a chance to kayak under a 2,000-year-old Roman aqueduct.
A special Captain’s Welcome Reception and Dinner will be prepared for you this evening
Choice of Avignon walking tour with Palace of the Popes or Pont du Gard Roman aqueduct visit or "Let’s Go” kayak ride on the Gardon River
Explore a sun-drenched Provençal town today with an allure all its own. Known for its remarkable Roman ruins, Arles so inspired Van Gogh that he painted some 200 paintings there. Arles has existed since the sixth century BC, when the ancient Greeks founded it and named it Theline. It was here that the Romans built their first bridge across the Rhône River, creating a vital overland route between Italy and Spain.
Featured Excursion: Arles walking tour
An enchanting village where time seems to have stopped centuries ago, Viviers has a long and storied past that goes back more than 1,600 years—and a splendid architectural heritage to match. At one time, Viviers was divided along religious lines—the clergy lived in the upper part of the town, the laity in the lower part. Your exploration of the town will take you through both parts, as you begin at the crest and make your way to the riverbank.
Featured Excursion: Intimate Viviers “Village Day”
If you love fine wine, you’ll love the twin villages of Tournon and Tain-l’Hermitage. Tournon may be a small town, but stirring events took place here: A castle was raised on the hilltop in the 10th century to protect the region, and new fortifications were added over the centuries, including two “new” towers built to defend against Protestant attacks in the 16th century. You’ll see the handsome houses constructed by wealthy merchants and garrison officers when you walk through the Rue de Doux area, and you’ll pass the 14th-century church and the oldest secondary school in France.
Choice of Tournon and Tain-l’Hermitage twin villages stroll with wine tasting or “Let's Go” Hermitage terrace vineyards hike with wine tasting
As the epicentre of French gastronomy, Lyon is a city of tantalising contrasts. There’s much to explore here, from the work of culinary visionaries to silk weavers’ secret passageways. After your choice of excursions, embrace the locals’ favourite mode of transportation with a bike ride—a great way to see the sights.
Choice of Lyon Capital of Gastronomy tour or Silk weavers walking tour or “Let's Go” Lyon peninsula bike tour
The pace of life is decidedly more relaxed in Burgundy, where endless rows of grapes hang heavy on the vine. The capital of the region’s wine trade, Beaune is renowned for its history, beauty and highly prized wine, as well as its medieval-era hospital—the Hospices de Beaune.
Choice of Burgundy landscapes, Beaune and the hospices or Mâcon walking tour
Disembark the ship and transfer to the Lyon-Saint Exupéry Airport for your flight home, or extend your stay with a visit to Paris.
SOLO Traveller Price Guide
|4 April 2021||was £4,249 £3,249|
|25 April 2021||was £3,999 £2,799|
|11 July 2021||was £4,099 £2,869|
- Savings of up to 30% if booked by 31st March 2021
- Self-Drive and save up to £400 per couple
- Return flights from a selection of UK airports, supplements may apply
- 7-night cruise in a riverview stateroom on the S.S. Catherine
- All transfers on arrival and departure days
- All gratuities, both onboard and onshore
- Services of an experienced Uniworld Cruise Manager
- All meals onboard, prepared using the finest and freshest ingredients
- Free Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Captain's Welcome and Farewell Receptions & Welcome and Farewell Gala Dinners
- Unlimited beverages onboard, including fine wine, beer, spirits, soft drinks, specialty coffee and tea, and mineral water
- 6 days of excursions, including “Choice Is Yours” options, all fully hosted by English-speaking local experts
- Guided “Go Active,” “Do as the Locals Do,” “Village Day” and “Gentle Walking” programs
- 4 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- State-of-the-art Quietvox portable audio headset system on all excursions
- Use of bicycles and Nordic walking sticks
- Captivating onboard local entertainment
- Cultural enrichment, including a Signature Lecture: "Vincent van Gogh's Troubled Destiny"
Exclusive Events on Board
- Q&A sessions with Marcus and Jilly
- Trip to Lyon food market with a talk on local foods by Marcus
- An incredible cooking demonstration by Marcus
- Multiple wine tastings with Jilly
- Jilly will curate the wines for your farewell gala dinner