Brilliant Bordeaux 2019 Uniworld River Cruise
Uncover the proud legacy and heritage of Southwest France. Set sail along three stunning rivers, the Garonne, Dordogne and Gironde, on one fascinatingly historical and invigorating journey. Explore the country’s breathtaking backdrops, wines and cultural treasures across the region in Bordeaux, Fort Médoc, Cadillac, Blaye, Libourne and more. Wander through archaeological marvels, historic landmarks and magnificent vineyards where you’ll be treated to a sampling of quintessentially French experiences. Enjoy an exquisite wine tasting in Fort Médoc before discovering World War II in France from the enemy’s point of view with a visit to a defensive army camp and portions of the Atlantic Wall.
Embark on a scenic drive from Blaye to Bourg along the Route de la Corniche Fleurie and marvel at the sights of Blaye Fortress and Lansac Windmill along the way. Or, choose to experience that same impressive scenery from the seat of a bike. Slow things down in Libourne and on your return to Bordeaux with multiple wine tastings, village tours, a farmers’ market visit and Bordeaux Heritage walking tour. Join us on a showcase of the best Southwest France has to offer.
Arrive at Bordeaux–Mérignac International Airport, where you will be transferred to the ship.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Wine passion in Médoc: intimate château visit and wine tasting.Choice of Bunker Archaeology tour
Journey from Bordeaux, the “Pearl of the Aquitaine,” a famed wine-growing region, to the historical village of Cussac-Fort-Médoc, before arriving in coastal Pauillac later in the afternoon. Pauillac, once a crucial enemy stronghold during World War II, is still home to remnants of its war-torn past. Embark on an afternoon Bunker Archaeology tour, where you’ll begin to understand WWII from the enemy’s point of view. Led by a local guide, tour the remains of defensive army camps, wander inside bunkers and get up close and personal with the Atlantic Wall, an extensive coastal defense system and series of fortifications built by Nazi Germany that lies along the coast of numerous European countries.
Satisfy your sweet tooth in elegant Cadillac, a town known for its production of sweet dessert wines and perfectly situated in the center of an acclaimed international wine region. The town, which still holds on to its medieval structure, is home to a plethora of impressive wine estates, beautiful chateaus and trails perfect for enjoying the French countryside. We’ll treat you to an exclusive artisanal wine-pairing lunch at Château Royal de Cazeneuve prior to an appropriate photo stop at Château d’Yquem.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Scenic drive along the Route de la Cornice. Choice of "Let's Go" bike tour: Corniche Fleurie from Blaye to Bourg or Bourg walking tour.
Spend your morning on a scenic drive along the Route de La Corniche Fleurie. Marvel at the spectacular homes etched into cliffs, sprawling gardens, Blaye Fortress and Lansac’s windmills along your way. Or, choose to experience it by bike, where you’ll cycle towards quiet roads, riverside paths and charming villages.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Landscapes of Saint-Emilion village discovery tour with wine tasting.
A full day in Libourne means you’ll have plenty of time to explore the majestic landscape of villages and vineyards. Nestled along the confluence of the Isle and Dordogne rivers, the quaint town is as pretty as a postcard. On the outskirts of Libourne, you’ll find neighboring Saint-Émilion. Discover the wine-making town by foot on a tour of its most picturesque sights, such as the magnificent Monolithic Church, all capped by a wine tasting at a beautiful château.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: Exclusive “Bordeaux under the Stars” tour
Before making the journey back to Bordeaux, you’ll have plenty of time to continue exploring Libourne’s Gothic architecture, splendid chateaus and charming streets. Stroll around the main square which is flanked by medieval buildings, restaurants and cafés, shops and town hall. Get a feel for the local life with a pit stop at the town’s farmers' market. Arrive back in Bordeaux that night, just in time for an exclusive tour of the city as seen under the glow of the night sky.
FEATURED EXCURSIONS: “Do as the Locals Do” Bordeaux Heritage walking tour. Choice of ”Let’s Go” biking in Bordeaux backstreets.
There’s so much to discover with a full day in Bordeaux’s port of Quai des Chatrons. The architecture is impressive, the wine is exquisite and the shopping is to die for. Explore La Cité du Vin, a one-of-a-kind cultural center and museum that brings the heritage of wine to life through interactive exhibits, shows, academic seminars and more. Do as the locals do and uncover Bordeaux’s unique heritage on a walking tour or choose to traverse the city by bike. Celebrate the end to a spectacular trip with a farewell dinner onboard.
Disembark the ship and transfer to Bordeaux–Mérignac International Airport for your flight home.
|Date||Price from (pp)|
|05 May 2019||£2,999|
|12 May 2019||£2.299|
|19 May 2019||£2,999|
|26 May 2019||£3,399|
|02 June 2019||£2,999|
|09 June 2019||£3,099|
|16 June 2019||£2,799|
|23 June 2019||£2,199|
|30 June 2019||£2,399|
|07 July 2019||£2,399|
|14 July 2019||£2,199|
|21 July 2019||£2,199|
|28 July 2019||£2,199|
|04 August 2019||£2,199|
|11 August 2019||£2,199|
|18 August 2019||£2,299|
|25 August 2019||£2,499|
|08 September 2019||£3,299|
|15 September 2019||£3,299|
|22 September 2019||£3,299|
|29 September 2019||£3,299|
|13 October 2019||£2,999|
|20 October 2019||£2,999|
|27 October 2019||£1,899|
|03 November 2019||£1,699|
- Savings of up to £1,500pp when you book by 31st May 2019*
- Return flights or Eurostar from the UK, some supplements may apply to regional airports.
- 7-night cruise in a riverview stateroom on the River Royale
- Lavishly appointed riverview staterooms and suites have handcrafted Savoir® of England beds, high-thread count 100% Egyptian cotton sheets and European duvets, and a menu of pillow options
- All transfers on arrival and departure days
- All gratuities, both onboard and onshore
- Services of an experienced Uniworld Cruise Manager
- All meals onboard, prepared using the finest and freshest ingredients
- Free Internet and Wi-Fi access
- 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners
- Captain's Welcome and Farewell Receptions
- Welcome and Farewell Gala Dinners
- Unlimited beverages onboard, including fine wine, beer, spirits, soft drinks, specialty coffee and tea, and mineral water
- 6 days of excursions, including “Choice Is Yours” options, all fully hosted by English-speaking local experts
- Guided “Let's Go,” “Do as the Locals Do” and “Village Day” programs
- 3 UNESCO World Heritage sites
- State-of-the-art Quietvox portable audio headset system on all excursions
- Use of bicycles and Nordic walking sticks
- Captivating onboard local entertainment
- Cultural enrichment, including a Signature Lecture: "Aquitaine: Three Rivers, One Ocean and a Unique Land"
- Exclusive Connoisseur Collection on select summer departures