The Rhone, Burgundy and Provence 2022 A-ROSA River Cruise
Step aboard in Lyon to cruise north into the Saone to historic Chalon, gateway to the Cote d'Or wine region and then to lively, Burgundian Macon with its cafe-lined riverbank and brightly painted half-timbered houses. Cruise gently back to Lyon then sail south into the Rhône where you’ll stay overnight in glorious Avignon, with its famed ‘pont’ and Palace of the Popes, and enjoy a guided tour. The cruise completes with calls in exquisite former Roman stronghold Arles and charming Voulte-sur-Rhône, before a last cruise back to Lyon.
Travel to Lyon or Geneva, and transfer to the dock to board A-ROSA STELLA. Your Rhone river cruise begins tonight, leaving you free to spend your time getting to know the ship and enjoying your first dinner on board. Alternatively, make your own way from home to the ship, in your own time, in time to embark.
A full day is spent in Chalon-sur-Saone, France. This historic Cote d'Or town has a beautiful medieval quarter, a fascinating wine museum and a museum dedicated to local hero Joseph Niepce, now generally considered the true inventor of photography. A-ROSA STELLA leaves Chalon in the evening, continuing south overnight.
You'll arrive in Macon in the early morning. This famed wine-producing town on the banks of the Saone boasts a lively, cafe-lined promenade. Spend time shopping, relaxing with a drink or explore the city's cultural highlights such as the Museum of Fine Arts or Macon Cathedral. In the afternoon A-ROSA STELLA leaves Macon and continues her voyage south, returning to Lyon for an overnight stay.
Wake up in Lyon, where the Rhone turns south towards the Mediterranean. Enjoy France's UNESCO-listed 'second city' to life. A prosperous gateway to both the Alps and sun-kissed Provence, for centuries this city was the wealthy centre of the silk trade. After enjoying Lyon, you'll head out again in the afternoon and begin a pleasant, scenic cruise down the Rhone.
Around lunchtime today you'll arrive at Avignon, the historic City of the Popes. One of Europe's best-preserved medieval strongholds, Avignon is dominated by the monumental Palais des Papes. The engaging, bustling city is centred on the Place d'Horloge, which is lined with cafes and market stalls -perfect for watching the world go by. Join a guided tour to discover the city, and don't miss the crumbling remains of the Pont St-Benezet or the "pont d'Avignon" from the famous French folk song.
Spend the morning pottering around the streets of Avignon and finishing the remainder of your sightseeing. A-ROSA STELLA departs at noon, and cruises still further south to Arles.
Once the capital of Roman Gaul, Arles is home to some superb ancient ruins. See the painstakingly unearthed baths, chariot racetrack and the elegant skeleton of Les Arenes amphitheatre. The great cathedral of St-Trophime and several fascinating museums add to the attraction of this city that so inspired both Van Gogh and Gauguin.
Your river cruiser will depart tonight, and begin the long, gentle journey back upriver.
Enjoy a final day on-board A-ROSA STELLA relaxing on the sun-deck (weather permitting) or in the pool, and enjoying the benefits of your Premium All-inclusive package. Around lunchtime you'll make a brief stop in La Voulte-sur-Rhone before continuing your voyage back to Lyon in the afternoon and overnight.
Say farewell to A-ROSA STELLA, the crew and your fellow passengers as you disembark and begin your journey home.
|Date||Fares from (pp)|
|14 May 2022||£1,979|
|18 June 2022||£1,985|
|16 July 2022||£1,995|
|13 August 2022||£1,999|
|10 September 2022||£1,985|
|8 October 2022||£1,695|
- 7 nights' Premium Inclusive cruise accommodation
- Return travel from the UK
- Included coach transfers to the ship
- Free Wi-Fi on board
- On-board activities and entertainment
- Gourmet buffet dining with live cooking stations
- Flexible mealtimes
- A FREE unlimited Premium Inclusive drinks package including water, soft drinks, speciality teas and coffees, beer, wine, spirits and cocktails throughout the day and evening
- Occasional regional treats and specialities to complement your destination that day
- Afternoon tea with freshly prepared cakes and pastries
- 15 per cent off on a range of beauty and wellness treatments in the on-board spa, SPA-ROSA
- The services of a Cruise Director and experienced English-speaking crew
- All port taxes and surcharges
- Sailing north into the Saone to Macon and Chalon
- Overnight stays in Lyon and Avignon
- Included guided tour of Avignon
- Calls in Roman Arles and La-Voute-sur-Rhone
- Saint-Philibert de Tournus - all that remains of the town's Benedictine abbey