New Year on the Rhine 2022 A-ROSA River Cruise
Spend an unforgettable New Year break on the Rhine, as you take in some of this iconic river’s most essential cities, , together with a call at financial powerhouse Frankfurt, on the River Main. You’ll depart from Cologne and sail south to the famous wine town of Rüdesheim, set amongst the vine-clad banks of the river. Continue your journey south, and into France and to the pretty Alsace capital of Strasbourg, home to Europe’s oldest Christmas market. Turning north, you’ll head for the picturesque historic city of Mainz on New Years’ Eve, for the chance to see the Rhine lit up with a wonderful midnight fireworks display, and then follow the Main to Frankfurt, birthplace of the famous writer and poet Goethe. Tie up in Frankfurt overnight and then rejoin the Rhine to make a final call at pretty Koblenz, at the confluence of the Rhine and the Moselle, before returning to Cologne.
Travel to Germany, then head down to the Rhine where your A-ROSA river cruise ship waits, ready to get underway this afternoon.
After a night spent cruising swiftly but smoothly south, A-ROSA AQUA will arrive in Rudesheim. Climb the hill to take in the views from beside little Bossenburg Castle down to its waterside neighbour the Bromserburg, follow the hiking paths out of town to where the ruins of Burg Ehrenfels guard the bend of the river, or wander the Drosselgasse from wine tavern to wine tavern in search of the perfect glass of local Riesling or Pinot Noir.
Today A-ROSA AQUA arrives in Kehl, and you'll have the chance to join a day-trip to Strasbourg. Discover the canals, covered bridges, cobbled streets and half-timbered buildings of Petite France, and pay a visit to "Europe's oldest Christmas market", which fills the shadow of the city's magnificent cathedral with festive bustle until the end of December each year. At the end of a fascinating, relaxing day, A-ROSA AQUA will slip away from Kehl and head back downriver towards Mainz.
The capital of the Rhineland-Palatinate, once the site of a Roman border fort, and the city where Johannes Gutenburg set up his first printing press in the 1450s, Mainz is a welcoming hybrid of pretty streets, historic buildings and thriving modern culture.
After another night cruising upstream and the Main, A-ROSA AQUA will arrive in Frankfurt. Head ashore for a stroll through Frankfurt's historic old town and the delightful lanes of Sachsenhausen - where you'll find countless cafes and bars serving traditional Ebbelwoi or Apfelwein cider - and to see the towering facade of Frankfurt's cathedral, the Kaiserdom, then return to A-ROSA to begin your New Year festivities and take full advantage of the special festive food and entertainment on offer this evening.
Cruise gently back down the meanders of the Main, and past the castle-capped hills and quiet vineyards of the of the Middle Rhine, on your way to Koblenz. Explore this pretty Rhineland town, which straddles the confluence of the Rhine and the Moselle under the watchful gaze of imposing Ehrenbreitstein Fortress on the opposite bank, or simply make the most of your final day on board.
Say goodbye to all your newfound friends in Cologne, this morning, as you begin your journey home.
|Date||Fares from (pp)|
|28 December 2022||£1,985|
- 6 nights' Premium Inclusive cruise accommodation
- Return travel from the UK
- Included coach transfers to the ship
- Free Wi-Fi on board
- On-board activities and entertainment
- Gourmet buffet dining with live cooking stations
- Flexible mealtimes
- A FREE unlimited Premium Inclusive drinks package including water, soft drinks, speciality teas and coffees, beer, wine, spirits and cocktails throughout the day and evening
- Occasional regional treats and specialities to complement your destination that day
- Afternoon tea with freshly prepared cakes and pastries
- 15 per cent off on a range of beauty and wellness treatments in the on-board spa, SPA-ROSA
- The services of a Cruise Director and experienced English-speaking crew
- All port taxes and surcharges
- A call in the famous wine-town of Rudesheim
- Spending a full day in historic Mainz
- An included tour of Strasbourg
- An included walking tour around Koblenz
- New Year's Eve in Frankfurt
- Special festive meals and entertainment on board