No Fly Delights of the Danube Cruise 2021 Great Rail Journeys
Experience the magic of the Danube as we cruise comfortably through Imperial Vienna and Budapest. Step back in time as we explore the Ottoman and Habsburg empires, with plenty of opportunities to taste the regional specialties - a real treat for all the senses.
Begin today at London St Pancras, where you'll meet your Tour Manager as well of the rest of your group, to start your journey to Europe. Board the Eurostar travelling to Brussels, then change for the service to Nuremberg, via Cologne.
Make the short walk back to Nuremberg station for the train to Vienna, changing for the final leg of our journey. Arriving in Budapest, meet the Amadeus Queen, Silver II or Imperial where you are welcomed with a cocktail in the lounge before dinner. Perhaps take some time to relax with your feet up, and to refresh after your journey. Later take in the illuminated sights as we sail around the city on a memorable night cruise.
This morning enjoy a guided coach and walking tour, introducing you to Budapest's main sights. You'll pass impressive buildings and monuments on both sides of the Danube, including the neo-Gothic Parliament building, the magnificent State Opera House and St Stephen's Basilica, Budapest Castle, Matthias Church and Fishermen's Bastion.
Return to the ship for lunch, after which you have some free time before we begin cruising to Bratislava, passing through the splendid Danube Bend along the way. This section of the river has a long and fascinating history and from the sun deck or panoramic windows in the bar, you'll be able to see castle ruins, churches, pretty houses hidden in the hills and dense forests, all soaked in the golden glow of twilight.
Your morning is at leisure aboard before your ship moors up early this afternoon. After lunch, set out on a guided coach and walking tour of the Slovakian capital. Located in the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains, Bratislava straddles the Danube which neatly divides the city into two parts; the Baroque Old Town (Stare Mesto) and the new city. This picture-postcard destination boasts historic Gothic buildings, several universities, a wealth of museums and galleries, and a refreshing cosmopolitan atmosphere. The historic centre features delightful cobblestoned roads, pedestrianised plazas, 18th-century rococo buildings and street caf\xE9s galore. Following our excursion, you have plenty of free time to explore.
After a calm night of cruising, arrive into glorious Vienna for a sightseeing tour. This is a chance to relish in Austria's Imperial heritage, one full of tradition and rich in architectural, artistic and musical heritage. You'll see many of Vienna's most ornate buildings, including the impressive Opera House - one of the leading opera venues in the world, as well as the grand Parliament Building.
Tonight a real treat that awaits you. After dinner you are joined by musicians from the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra for a private recital. Be whisked away by the music and immerse yourself in this singularly exceptional experience.
Today reach Austria's Wachau Valley, a famous wine-making region. Arrive in the idyllic village of D\xFCrnstein where you have time at leisure. As you sit down to lunch on board, we begin cruising along the picturesque Wachau Valley, an extremely scenic area with green valleys and vineyards rising up from the river, picturesque riverside towns, and commanding fortresses with sweeping views. Journey by coach to Melk Abbey, enjoying entrance to this 11th-century Benedictine Abbey which stands on a rocky outcrop overlooking the Danube. It is also home to the Abbey Church, considered one of the most beautiful Baroque churches north of the Alps.
Disembark in Linz this morning, where you have a choice of excursions. You could head further into the countryside for a day spent amidst the spectacular scenery of the Austrian lakes. Make stops at UNESCO listed Hallstatt, one of Austria's most photographed villages thanks to its traditional pastel-coloured houses, Hallst\xE4ttersee Lake, and Mondsee. This pretty town is set on the lake of the same name and its most famous sight is the 15th-century parish church, which featured in the wedding scenes of 'The Sound of Music'. Otherwise, travel by coach to Salzburg, via Mondsee, one of Austria's most famous cities and known as the birthplace of Mozart. A guided sightseeing tour reveals the city's internationally renowned Baroque architecture, a well-deserved UNESCO World Heritage site. We rejoin the ship in Passau.
Regensburg is your port of call this morning, which you explore on foot. This medieval town contains many buildings that testify to its history as a trading centre which had a huge infl uence on the whole region from the 9th century onwards. Back on board tonight, attend the captain's gala dinner, a chance to don our evening wear and celebrate your cruise experience.
After breakfast, disembark in Passau to start the journey back to the UK by rail.
|Date||Standard Class (pp)||First Class (pp)|
|17 May 2021||£2,195||£2,595|
|24 May 2021||£2,395||£2,795|
|17 June 2021||£2,395||£2,795|
|28 June 2021^||£2,395||£2,795|
|22 July 2021^||£2,395||£2,795|
|12 August 2021||£2,195||£2,595|
|7 September 2021||£2,395||£2,795|
|12 September 2021||£2,395||£2,795|
- Savings of up to £100pp - book by 31st October 2020
- First and Standard Class rail options available
- The services of a professional UK Tour Manager from London to Budapest and from Passau to London.
- Exclusive meeting point at our dedicated Departure Office in St Pancras
- All rail and coach travel throughout your tour and a fully escorted return journey by rail back to London
- 4 nights' hotel accommodation
- 7-night cruise on board the Amadeus Queen, Silver II or Imperial
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner every day of your cruise with a 5-star dining experience held in a panoramic restaurants
- Optional excursions to Salzburg or the Austrian Lake District
- Drinks included with every evening meal on board
- Tea & Coffee facilities in your cabin
- Danish Bacon, British Sausage & Yorkshire Tea on board
- Tour Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna, Melk Abbey and Regensburg
- Cruise the Danube Bend and through the Wachau Valley, two of the Danube's most beautiful natural stretches
- Exclusive, private musical performance from members of the excellent Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
- Sail on a night time cruise through the illuminated lights and under the iconic bridges of historic Budapest
- Unique flexible excursions allowing you to choose how you spend your day with options including: Tour of Salzburg and an excursion to the Austrian Lake District