Christmas in Southern France 2022 Emerald Cruises River Cruise
Celebrate the festivities in true Provence style, as this itinerary takes you through medieval southern France. You’ll feast on traditional fayre and witness parades and folk dances, in picturesque settings.
Welcome to Avignon! You will be met and transferred from the airport to the lush surrounds of your Emerald Cruises Star-Ship.
Christmas in Provence is full of traditional celebrations. Rich in symbols, marked in beliefs and omens, the Christmas traditions are well-anchored in the hearts of the Provençal people. Today, you discover Avignon on an included guided tour. During Christmas, many festive celebrations are taking place in the city such as carols, parades, folk dances etc. Local markets and grocery stores are filled with delicious specialities that you will be able to taste today. Your guided walking tour of Avignon will also include the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Palais des Papes. This afternoon is yours to explore at leisure, stroll down Avignon’s cobbled laneways and peruse its lush boutiques and perhaps crossing the 12th-century Pont d'Avignon.
Included Excursion: Guided tour of Avignon with visit of the Popes Palace
This morning, set back with your favourite hot drink on board and enjoy the landscape of Provence passing by on your sailing day from Avignon to Tarascon. This afternoon, visit one of the many Olive Mills in the region. The olive tree is one of the strongest symbols of South of France and Provencal gastronomy. Beginning of December is the harvest season for olives. The Provencal celebrate the arrival of the newly pressed olive oil which you will have the occasion to taste during your visit to a local olive mill. The strong fruity taste of the Provencal olive oil makes it one of the best of the country. Tonight, enjoy a traditional Provencal Christmas dinner which include the famous Thirteen desserts.
Included Tour: Visit to an olive mill
EmeraldPLUS: A Traditional Provencal Christmas dinner on board
A Provençal Christmas is infused with biblical resonance, charmingly intertwined with local traditions, as exemplified by the Provençal crèche, which is populated by santons (little saints) representing not only the Magi, shepherds and angels but also butchers, bakers, farmers, fishermen, milkmaids, and dozens of other denizens of an idealized 19th-century Provençal village. After your included guided tour of Arles, you will get to experience this Provencal traditional craft at the International Fair of Santons which takes place every year in the city. The rest of the day is yours to spend at leisure, perhaps exploring Arles Roman treasures and Christmas markets, or simply resting on board your comfortable Star-Ship.
Included Excursion: Guided walking tour of Arles with the International Fair of Santons
After breakfast, it is time to say farewell to your fellow guests and disembark the ship for your transfer to the airport.
This itinerary is a guide only and may be amended for operational reasons such as high and low water. As such, the cruise may operate altered from that stated above.
|Date||Fares from (pp)|
|10 December 2022||£1,545|
|14 December 2022||£1,545|
- Free Premium Drinks Package & save up to £1,400 per couple
- Save an extra 10% on selected cabin grades when you pay in full 12 months before departure*
- Return economy flights from London, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow or Edinburgh. Call for details on regional departures
- 4 nights on board an Emerald Cruises Star-Ship
- 11 superb meals including 4 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 4 Dinners including a Welcome and Farewell Reception & Dinner
- 3 Exciting shore excursions
- Complimentary wine, beer and soft drinks to accompany lunch and dinner
- Complimentary tea and coffee on-board
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom re-stocked daily
- A variety of on-board evening entertainment
- First-class service from English-speaking crew and knowledgeable local guides
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on-board (restrictions apply)
- All port charges, airport taxes & transfers within Europe
- All tips included