Christmas Markets on the Rhine 2021 Emerald Waterways River Cruise
Explore the heritage treasures of the Rhine, from Cologne to the Black Forest whilst visiting Germany’s world-famous Christkindlmarkts.
Welcome to Switzerland. You will be met at the airport by an Emerald Waterways representative and transferred to your luxurious Star-Ship in Basel, where your friendly captain and crew will be waiting to greet you. This evening, join your fellow guests for dinner on board.
Today, you will have the opportunity to visit a Black Forest village that perfectly encapsulates a traditional way of life, where craftspeople carve cuckoo clocks and other iconic figures that are part of Germany’s intangible cultural heritage.
EmeraldPLUS: A Black Forest gateau presentation and tasting
This morning, we will dock in Kehl and you will be transferred by coach across the river to Strasbourg, the storied capital of France’s Alsace Region. Your guided tour of Strasbourg will include the Grande Île, the historical centre of the city and a UNESCO World Heritage-listed site that is known for its medieval half-timbered buildings, old tanning houses, Baroque sandstone buildings and charming canal system. After your guided tour of Strasbourg, you will have the opportunity to visit one of its most charming Christmas markets.
EmeraldPLUS: A guided tour of Strasbourg
This morning, relax on board as we cruise along the Rhine River, passing Mannheim on our way to Heidelberg. The streets of Mannheim are laid out in a traditional grid system, which is why it is also known as the “City of Squares”. Your guided tour of Heidelberg’s rich history includes a wine tasting, and a visit to the ruins of Heidelberg Castle, overlooking the Rhine River and a red-roofed skyline. Some of the most successful painters of the Romantic era drew inspiration from Heidelberg Castle, including British artist William Turner, who depicted images of the ruins in several of his paintings. Afterwards, stroll down the cobbled streets of the old town, touching on the Church of the Holy Spirit and the oldest university in Germany.
Today, we will take you into the heart of Koblenz, an ancient city that looks as though it has been pulled from the pages of a German fairytale. Enjoy a picturesque backdrop of vineyards and snow-topped mountain ranges as your local guide takes you through open cobbled squares and down narrow streets. Your tour will include the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle at the German Corner and idyllic panoramic views of the Rhine from Ehrenbreitstein Fortress.
DiscoverMORE: A Moselle and Cochem Castle visit (extra expense)
Seven idyllic Christmas markets effortlessly transform the postcard-worthy city of Cologne into a winter wonderland over the Christmas period. Following your guided tour of the city, you will have the opportunity to explore independently, perhaps visiting the ornate stalls beneath the UNESCO World Heritagelisted Cologne Cathedral, where you can drink traditional glühwein out of beautifully decorated mugs.
Welcone to Amsterdam! Board a glass top canal boat for a tour down Amsterdam’s UNESCO World Heritage-listed canal system, passing historic merchant’s houses that reflect the bygone era of the Dutch Golden Age and delightful Christmas stalls, each surrounded by people in their finest knitwear drinking hot mugs of mulled wine.
After breakfast, bid farewell to your fellow guests as you are transferred to the airport, taking memories of quintessential German villages and emerald canopies with you.
|Date||Cabin||Fares from (pp)|
|4 December 2021||Cat E Emerald Stateroom||£1,795|
|Cat D Emerald Stateroom||£1,995|
|Cat C Balcony Suite||£2,495|
|Cat B Balcony Suite||£2,695|
|Cat A Balcony Suite||£2,745|
|Cat S Grand Balcony Suite||SOLD OUT|
|Cat SA Owner's One-bedroom Suite||£3,995|
Extend Your Cruise
Extend your stay, pre or post cruise, with these great value cruise extensions! Departure date may be adjusted. Simply give our award winning team a call for full details on 0800 810 8220
- Pre or post cruise extention in Lucerne & Zurich
- Savings of up to £1,000 per couple, plus a FREE Premium Drinks Package - book by 31 August 2020*
- Pay for your holiday in full by 31st October & receive an additional £125pp Early Payment Discount^
- Return economy flights from London, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow or Edinburgh. Call for details on regional departures.
- 7 nights in a Stateroom or Suite of your choice
- EmeraldPLUS activity: A guided tour of Strasbourg, wine tasting in Heidelberg & Black Forest cake assembling demonstration
- 20 on-board meals: 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners including a Welcome Gala Dinner
- Complimentary wine, beer and soft drinks to accompany lunch and dinner
- Complimentary tea and coffee on-board
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom re-stocked daily
- A variety of on-board evening entertainment
- First-class service from English-speaking crew and knowledgeable local guides
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on-board (restrictions may apply)
- All port charges, airport taxes & transfers within Europe