Jewels of the Rhine 2019 Emerald Waterways River Cruise
Explore modern and quintessential Holland on a glass-top canal boat cruise, before sailing the countryside witnessing windmills and tulip fields. Enjoy a guided walking tour of modern Cologne and the juxtaposition of ancient Koblenz, continuing upstream to Heidelberg for a wine-tasting. Soak up Strasbourg’s beautiful architecture on a guided tour and, in Breisach, attend a Black Forest gateau presentation with tasting, and visit a typical Black Forest village.
Welcome to Switzerland and the Rhine–side town of Basel, the centre of the country’s pharmaceutical industry. You will be met and transferred from Basel Airport to your Emerald Waterways luxury river cruise ship. A warm welcome awaits you from your Captain and crew as you board.
Today you have a choice to commence your magical morning with a visit to the Vogtsbauernhof Museum, an open air exhibition of sixteenth century life, featuring a number of reconstructed Black Forest farms. Alternatively, take part in the Emerald Active hike.
EmeraldACTIVE: Guided Hike Through a Typical Black Forest Village (active fitness level recommended)
EmeraldPLUS: Black Forest Cake Assembling presentation and tasting.
Once docked in Kehl you will be transferred by coach across the river to Strasbourg, the capital city of the Alsace Region in France. Your guided walking tour will include the Grande Ile, the historical city centre and UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its medieval black and white timber framed buildings, old tanning houses, baroque sandstones buildings, canals and river locks. Your afternoon is free to continuing exploring Strasbourg.
EmeraldPLUS: Guided Tour of Strasbourg.
Continue downstream to the town of Mannheim, located at the confluence of the Rhine and Neckar rivers. There you will visit the medieval town of Heidelberg including the impressive castle which overlooks the town. Enjoy free time there before returning to the ship for lunch and an afternoon sailing.
Cruise to the 2000 year old town of Koblenz, which is situated at the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle rivers. Visit the Ehrenbreitstein Fortress on the opposite side of the river. This fortress was part of the Prussian defences against the French in the 19th century and later used as a headquarters for the American military during WWII.
Discover More: Moselle & Cochem Visit (extra expense).
Founded by the Romans, Cologne is one of Germany's oldest and is famous for its magnificent World–Heritage listed Gothic Cathedral. Join your local guide for an included tour of the Old Town, with free time for exploring. Cologne is one of Germany's largest and most modern cities largely due to a rebuilding plan post WWII, and it has many different museums and galleries including a Roman artefact museum. This evening join your Captain for a farewell reception and dinner.
This morning you can decide to either enjoy a glass top canal boat tour through Amsterdam’s canal or a guided bike tour.
EmeraldACTIVE: Guided Bike Tour
After, your breakfast you will disembark your ship and transfer to airport for your homebound flight.
|Date||Fares from (pp)|
|28 September 2019||£2,545|
- Savings of up to £1,200 per person
- Return economy flights from up to 16 UK airports, subject to availability.
- 7 Nights accommodation on board an Emerald Waterways 'Star Ship'
- 6 shore excursions, including visits to 2 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- EmeraldPLUS activity: a cooking demo and tasting session in the Black Forest
- 19 on-board meals: 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 7 dinners including a Welcome Gala Dinner
- Complimentary wine, beer and soft drinks to accompany lunch and dinner
- Complimentary tea and coffee on-board
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom re-stocked daily
- A variety of on-board evening entertainment First-class service from English-speaking crew and knowledgeable local guides
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on-board (restrictions may apply)
- All port charges, airport taxes & transfers within Europe