Christmas Markets on the Danube Emerald Waterways River Cruise
This special festive twist on the classic itinerary down the Danube makes time for explorations of quirky Budapest, a traditional lunch with Slovakian locals, and marvelling at Vienna’s iconic architecture. All before perusing the Christmas markets of Regensburg, highly regarded as ‘one of the loveliest’.
Arrive at Munich Airport and transfer to Nuremberg to board your Emerald Waterways Star-Ship and start your river cruising journey along the Danube.
This morning, relax as we cruise along the Main-Danube Canal to the UNESCO World Heritage-listed city of Regensburg, a city that miraculously came out of the Second World War more or less intact. Here, you’ll have the chance to see a 12th-century bridge crossing the Danube and some of the city’s architectural highlights, before your EmeraldPLUS excursion takes you into the heart of the Thurn und Taxis Palace Christmas market, where rows of quaint wooden stalls are adorned by row-upon-row of twinkling lights.
EmeraldPLUS: A traditional Bavarian band on board
EmeraldPLUS: A traditional Bavarian band on board
EmeraldPLUS: A visit to the Christmas market at Thurn und Taxis Palace
EmeraldEXCURSION: A guided tour of Regensburg
The cobblestone streets that weave through Passau make it look as though it has been pulled from a Christmas card, especially when a thin layer of fresh snow blankets the town. Your included walking tour of Passau will finish underneath the striking green domes of St. Stephen’s Cathedral, where a charming Christkindlmarkt full of festive souvenirs and freshly baked goods can be found.
EmeraldEXCURSION: A guided tour of Passau
DiscoverMORE: Tour to Salzburg (extra expense)
Today, your included tour will take you into the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Melk Abbey, a Baroque palace that was gifted to monks almost a millennia ago. This afternoon, enjoy sailing through the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Wachau Valley, where Renaissance ruins and ancient castles pepper the surrounding landscape.
EmeraldEXCURSION: A tour of Melk Abbey
Welcome to Vienna, where you will have every opportunity to discover the Baroque cityscape and a generous peppering of imperial palaces during your guided tour of the Ringstrasse and the city centre, both by coach and on food. After the tour, you are free to explore at leisure, perhaps venturing into the heart of one of Vienna’s many Christmas markets, each set in open squares across the city.
EmeraldEXCURSION: A guided tour of the Ringstrasse and Vienna
DiscoverMORE: An exclusive Viennese concert (extra expense)
DiscoverMORE:Tastes of Vienna tour (extra expense)
Today, enjoy learning about Slovakian culture as we take you into the heart of Bratislava, a capital where cultures really do sit side-by-side. A sightseeing tour of the city will introduce you to its architectural wonders, including the Gothic St. Martin’s Cathedral and the neo-Renaissance Slovak National Theatre, but the city’s Christmas markets are a true delight, as they showcase handcrafted souvenirs and traditional Christmas treats.
EmeraldPLUS: Home-hosted coffee and cake with a Slovakian family EmeraldEXCURSION: A walking tour of Bratislava
Offering a rich abundance of historical whimsy, Budapest is known for its architectural collections and the historic monuments that pepper both sides of the Danube. This UNECO World Heritage-listed city is a true delight at Christmas, when the locals take to thermal baths to beat the crisp chill of the season. Today, your guided coach tour will introduce you to Andrássy Avenue and the neo-Renaissance façades of the townhouses that can be found there, as well as a generous scattering of Christmas decorations. This evening, a traditional Hungarian folklore show is certain to delight, as is a postcard-worthy night-time cruise along the Danube.
EmeraldPLUS: A traditional Hungarian folklore show
EmeraldPLUS: Budapest evening cruise
EmeraldEXCURSION: A guided bus tour of Budapest
DiscoverMORE: Tour to Szentendre (extra expense)
After breakfast to prepare you for the day ahead, it’s time to say your goodbyes before you’re transferred to the airport and your journey home begins.
|Date||Fares from (pp)|
|5 December 2021||£2,045|
|12 December 2021^||£2,245|
Extend Your Cruise
Extend your stay, pre or post cruise, with these great value cruise extensions! Departure date may be adjusted. Simply give our award winning team a call for full details on 0800 810 8220
- Pre or post cruise extention in Prague
- Savings of up to £1,000 per couple, plus a FREE Premium Drinks Package - book by 31 August 2020*
- Pay for your holiday in full by 31st October & receive an additional £125pp Early Payment Discount^
- Return economy flights from London, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow or Edinburgh. Call for details on regional departures.
- 7 nights in a Stateroom or Suite of your choice
- 6 shore excursions, including visits to various UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- 4 EmeraldPLUS activities including a home-hosted afternoon tea with a local Slovakian family
- 20 on-board meals: 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners including a Welcome Gala Dinner
- Complimentary wine, beer and soft drinks to accompany lunch and dinner
- Complimentary tea and coffee on-board
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom re-stocked daily
- A variety of on-board evening entertainment
- First-class service from English-speaking crew and knowledgeable local guides
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on-board (restrictions apply)
- All port charges, airport taxes & transfers within Europe
- All tips included, saving you up to £235 per couple