A Taste Of The Danube 2019 Avalon Waterways River Cruise
Cruising between stately Vienna and lively Budapest, Danube river cruise holidays take in the picturesque towns of Dürnstein & Melk. Begin your holiday with a two-night stay in Vienna, the city that was once the centre of the mighty Habsburg Empire. You’ll then sail an attractive stretch of river to one of the country’s most celebrated wine regions, Wachau Valley. Visit the palatial Benedictine Abbey in Melk, with its ornate library and frescoed church ceilings. Cruise to Dürnstein, taking in its blue and white Baroque Stiftskirche, before stopping in the Slovakian capital of Bratislava. Explore the old town and Gothic cathedral before setting sail for Budapest, where you’ll end your trip.
Welcome to Vienna, where you will be met and transferred to your hotel. Spend free time today by relaxing, exploring, or strolling through the streets of Vienna.
Classic Excursion: Venture into the Habsburg empire with a morning guided city tour of Vienna’s gilded landmarks. See the Imperial Palace complex—the winter residence of the Imperial Family, the historic Vienna Opera House and stunning St. Stephen’s Cathedral
Discovery Excursion: Take an Early Riser Walking Tour that includes breakfast at a Viennese café followed by an exclusive viewing of the Habsburg family’s private art collection at the Museum of Fine Arts—the perfect start to your stay in Vienna.
You may also choose to attend an optional excursion to a Royal Waltz Concert for an unforgettable evening of music in an elegant hall.
Choose an optional guided hiking or biking tour through the vineyards for an active city and countryside excursion Or perhaps take a tram ride to discover the adventure, tradition, and Viennese charm of The Prater amusement park. You may also consider to visiting one of Vienna’s marvelous museums. Or indulge your sweet tooth with authentic Austrian pastries in a local bakery.
Classic Excursion: Join a morning Guided Sightseeing Tour of Melk’s 11th-century Benedictine Abbey. Explore its frescoes, statues, library, and spectacular pipe organ in the monastery’s lofty perch above the Danube.
Take a relaxing break on the Sky Deck as you sail through awe-inspiring views through the Wachau Valley and the wine region surrounding Dürnstein. Spend free time in Dürnstein at your leisure, biking through the vineyards in the Wachau Valley, or hiking up the hillside to castle ruins and breathtaking views.
Classic Excursion: Join a guided sightseeing tour of Old Town’s cobblestone streets to Town Hall. Visit the gothic halls of St. Martin’s Cathedral—Hungary’s centuries-old coronation church.
Alternatively, in your free time take a bicycle and a picnic from the ship to explore the local sights along the Danube. Later, enjoy onboard entertainment by local musicians.
Classic Excursion: take a guided sightseeing tour to see majestic Heroes’ Square and Budapest’s classic sites.
With plenty of free time this afternoon, experience the curative waters of Budapest’s thermal baths, or set out for a hike to explore the countryside on either side of the Danube. Take time to shop for treasures, including handcrafted embroidery, Herend porcelain, or Budapest’s best baked goods.
This morning, transfers to the airport for your flight to the UK.
|Date||Price from (pp)|
|13 April 2019||£2,055|
|11 May 2019 (in reverse)||£2,069|
|01 July 2019||£2,125 Cat D Deluxe Stateroom|
|27 August 2019 (in reverse)||£2,489 Cat B Panorama Suite|
- Complimentary VIP Private Door-to-Door Home Pick-Up Service by Executive Car - Included on all sailings!†
- Return Flights from London. Regional Flights are also available but a supplement may apply. Ask the team for more information
- 3 nights deluxe accommodation in a spacious stateroom with Avalon's exclusive Comfort Collection® style beds, en-suite facilities and river views.
- 2 nights at the InterContinental Hotel (or similar), Budapest
- 2 nights at the InterContinental Hotel (or similar), Vienna
- All meals on board including full breakfast , buffet lunch and waiter service evening meal; afternoon tea with cakes and sweet treats; midnight snack, choice of premium teas and coffees & soft drinks throughout the day. Wine and beer is included with lunch and dinner. Buffet breakfasts in Vienna and Budapest hotels
- Included excursions and sightseeing trips with Local Guides and a choice of optional tours; headsets provided on excursions
- Services of an experienced Cruise Director
- Gratuities for Cruise Director and crew
- On board lectures, activities and nightly piano music
- Captain's Welcome Reception, Welcome Dinner and Farewell Gala Dinner
- All transfers, local port charges and airport taxes
- Complimentary Wifi (signal permitting)