Avalon Waterways Romantic Rhine River Cruise 2019
One of Europe's most legendary rivers awaits on this captivating journey along the Rhine. Enjoy a canal cruise in splendid Amsterdam and guided sightseeing in Cologne, Koblenz, and Strasbourg. Delight in excursions to Germany's iconic Black Forest and to Heidelberg, Germany's oldest university town, to explore its imposing castle. Sail through the dramatic Rhine Gorge, past the legendary Lorelei rock, and visit the Gutenberg Museum in Mainz.
Travel to Amsterdam where you will be met and transferred to your ship. Your day in Amsterdam is free to explore at your leisure. During tulip season, you may take a Guided Optional Excursion to Keukenhof gardens—with more than seven million tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths, as well as other bulbs, planted each year. Outside of tulip season, join a Guided Optional Excursion to Zaanse Schans to see historic windmills and charming Dutch houses.
Join a Guided Optional Culinary Walk through Amsterdam to sample savoury and sweet Dutch specialities, or a Guided Optional Excursion to Muiderslot Castle—Holland’s most beautiful, best-kept medieval castle. You may choose to spend some free time this afternoon visiting one of Amsterdam’s many fascinating museums or galleries.
Classic Excursion: Explore the iconic waterways of Amsterdam on a Guided Canal Cruise past stately homes of Amsterdam’s “Golden Age.”
Don’t miss the chance to enjoy free time over a glass of Kölsch pale lager—locally brewed for over 100 years! Later local musicians will join us on board for live entertainment.
Classic Excursion: Take a guided city walk of Cologne—with its soaring twin-steepled Gothic cathedral.
Discovery Excursion: A guided walking tour of Cologne’s important Jewish heritage sites.
Relax on the Sky Deck for an afternoon cruise through the Rhine Gorge to Rüdesheim. Sail past the legendary rock of The Lorelei—where the siren of mythology sang songs to lure ill-fated sailors.
Classic Excursion: Take a guided city walk amid ancient fortress walls, towers, squares, and monuments
Discovery Excursion: Take a Guided Tour of the incredible Mechanical Music Museum for a one-of-a-kind instrumental experience.
Based on your departure date, enjoy either a Coffee Tasting or a Wine Tasting. Enjoy live entertainment on board your ship this evening.
Classic Excursion: Enjoy a guided city walk, including a visit to the Gutenberg Museum to see the captivating history of printing.
Enjoy a guided tour to Heidelberg Castle to see the ruins of the magnificent renaissance treasure towering above the city, and its famed Great Vat, the “World’s Largest Wine Barrel,”
Active Excursion: Join your Avalon Adventure Host for an afternoon Hike up Philosophers’ Way for an inspiring view of the city below.
You may also choose to join a Guided Optional Excursion to the historic Maginot Line—an impressive installation of pre-WWII defensive fortifications designed to protect the eastern border of France, or visit Alsace’s wine country.
Classic Excursion: Join a city sightseeing tour, including Strasbourg’s Gothic, stained-glass cathedral with its celebrated ancient murals and astronomical clock, as well as the magical La Petite France District.
Follow your visit to Colmar with a free afternoon in Breisach. Take a bike from the ship, or walk among the pastel-painted houses above the Rhine.
Classic Excursion:Visit the charming village of Colmar on a Guided Tour of its half-timbered medieval and early renaissance buildings.
Discovery Excursion: Join a full-day guided tour to the magical Black Forest to experience the Vogtsbauernhof open-air-museum, visit an authentic water mill, and see a traditional Bavarian butter-making demonstration.
This morning, transfers to the airport for your flight to the UK.
- Complimentary VIP Private Door-to-Door Home Pick-Up Service by Executive Car - Included on all sailings!†
- 7 nights deluxe accommodation in a spacious stateroom with Avalon's exclusive Comfort Collection® style beds, en-suite facilities and river views.
- Return Flights from London. Regional Flights are also available but a supplement may apply. Ask the team for more information
- All meals on board including full breakfast , buffet lunch and waiter service evening meal; afternoon tea with cakes and sweet treats; midnight snack, choice of premium teas and coffees & soft drinks throughout the day. Wine and beer is included with lunch and dinner.
- Included excursions and sightseeing trips with Local Guides and a choice of optional tours; headsets provided on excursions
- Services of an experienced Cruise Director
- Gratuities for Cruise Director and crew
- On board lectures, activities and nightly piano music
- Captain's Welcome Reception, Welcome Dinner and Farewell Gala Dinner
- All transfers, local port charges and airport taxes
- Complimentary Wifi (signal permitting)