Avalon Waterways Burgundy & Provence Wine Themed River Cruise
Take a wondrous journey through beautiful France along the Rhône and Saône Rivers with guided sightseeing in the well-known French treasures and some hidden gems! Begin with an overnight on the captivating French Riviera, also known as the Côte d’Azur. Explore this elegant area and relax along the remarkably blue water of the Mediterranean Sea. On the Rhône River sits Arles, France—famous for inspiring the paintings of Van Gogh and its 1st-century Roman Amphitheater, which hosts plays and concerts to this day.
A Master of Wine will travel with you on this cruise and will hold lectures, tastings and will introduce you to food and wine pairing. After disembarkation, taste some of Burgundy wines before reaching Paris. The “City of Lights” is home to Notre Dame Cathedral, the Eiffel Tower, and the Louvre Museum. A city tour will show you all the must-see sights and you’ll have free time to relax in the sidewalk cafés and consider attending a classic Parisian cabaret show!
Take free time today to admire Côte d’Azur with its enchanting yachts, glamorous villas, and famous events. Known also as the French Riviera, the spectacular Côte d’Azur stretches along France’s Mediterranean coast from Toulon to the border of Italy.
After breakfast this morning, you’ll drive to Arles to board your Suite Ship. Before dinner sail toward the mouth of the Rhône for a taste of the tranquil vistas of Camargue National Park (daylight permitting).
Consider a Guided Optional Excursion to the Carrières de Lumières (Cathedral of Images) to immerse yourself in a truly unique experience of art, sound, and light in the old quarries of Val d’Enfer. Take advantage of any free time remaining with a stop in Le Café Van Gogh for a glass of wine, to relax and watch the world go by.
Classic Excursion: Enjoy a guided walking tour of Arles—the captivating city of the Provence region. You’ll visit the Roman Amphitheatre in this visually stunning city that inspired the works of Vincent van Gogh
Guided Optional Excursions include a visit to the ancient Roman aqueduct of Pont du Gard.Explore Avignon on your own for the city’s art and culture, theatre, and museums. Be sure to snap photos of the captivating countryside, historic monuments, and the medieval Pont Saint-Bénézet. Later, enjoy onboard live entertainment.
Classic Excursion: Take a guided sightseeing tour of the fortress city of Avignon—with its ramparts encircling the city—and a visit to the amazing Palace of the Popes.
Discovery Excursion: Enjoy a trip to the famed wine cellars of Châteauneuf-du-Pape for a true taste of the Rhône wine region.
Classic Excursion: Explore the pale-stone buildings of Viviers on a late afternoon Guided Walking Tour of this charming village. You’ll see its Romanesque cathedral and Old Town with a mix of historical Christian, Roman, and medieval influences.
Discovery Excursion: Join an Onboard Lecture hosted by your Master of Wine while sailing to Viviers.
Classic Excursion: Take a morning Guided Walking Tour to explore Tournon—one of France’s oldest medieval cities. See its 16th-century castle, and Roman ruins between the Rhône River and the granite slopes of the Hermitage. In the late morning cruise to Vienne
Discovery Excursion: Enjoy an Onboard chocolate and wine tasting hosted by your Master of Wine while sailing.
Classic Excursion: Join a Guided Walking Tour of Vienne and discover this charming little town surrounded by steep hills.
Discovery Excursion: This evening, join an Onboard food and wine pairing dinner hosted by your Master of Wine. Enjoy live entertainment while sailing to Lyon.
Adventures in Food and Wine in the Gastronomy Capital of France. Spend free time riding a bike through Lyon’s town squares, over bridges, and along the banks where the Rhône and Saône rivers meet.
Classic Excursion: Join a guided sightseeing tour to survey Lyon from Fourvière Hill with its numerous churches. You’ll also explore the Old Town with its maze of medieval alleyways, and the lively cafés, monuments, and famed fountain of Place des Terreaux.
Discovery Excursion: Take a guided tour to the lovely Beaujolais area and learn more about its light and pleasant wine.
Enjoy a leisurely cruising day along the majestic Saône River. Consider a guided optional excursion to a Chardonnay wine cellar, or to the Castle of Cormatin.
Discovery Excursion: Join an excursion that will take you to a Chardonnay cellar for a wine tasting. Later, enjoy a delicious cheese tasting on board your ship.
Drive to Beaune and take a High-Speed Train from Dijon to Paris. This afternoon, take a high-speed train from Dijon to Paris.
Classic Excursion: Visit the Hôtel-Dieu Charity Hospital in Beaune, built in 1443, today home of the Van der Weyden’s painting of the last judgment and is one of France’s architectural highlights.
Discovery Excursion: Visit a typical Burgundy wine cellar.
Spend your free time strolling through the Champs-Élysées for café au lait and croissants, see the exhibits at the Louvre, visit Montmartre’s Basilica of the Sacré Cœur.
Classic Excursion: Discover the ancient heart of Paris on a captivating Guided Walk featuring the Palais-Royal, Louvre pyramid, ancient sites on Île de la Cité, the Left Bank, bustling Latin Quarter, and more OR: Join a guided city tour that shows the iconic sites of Paris, such as the Louvre Museum, the Arc de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower, Opéra Garnier, and the famous Champs-Élysées.
Your holiday ends with breakfast this morning. Transfer to the airport or station for your journey to the UK.
|28 October 2019||CALL|
- Complimentary Private Door-to-Door Home Pick-Up Service!†
- Return Flight from London. Return Eurostar from St Pancras Rail Station plus a wide range of flights from UK regional airports are also available (A supplement may apply)
- 7 nights deluxe accommodation in a spacious stateroom
- 1 night on the Côte d'Azur at the Fairmont Monte Carlo, Méridien or Carlton Intercontinental, Cannes (or similar)
- 2 nights in Paris at the Pullman Paris Tour Eiffel, or Hotel du Collectionneur Arc de Triomphe, or Hotel InterContinental Paris (or similar)
- All meals on board including full breakfast with complimentary sparkling wine, buffet lunch with drinks, and waiter service dinner with beer, soft drinks and quality wines from Europe's most famous wine regions.
- Daily afternoon tea with cakes and sweet treats; a choice of teas and coffees throughout the day; daily evening snack.
- Buffet breakfast in Côte d'Azur and Paris hotels
- Excursions and sightseeing trips with local guides and a choice of optional tours; headsets provided on excursions
- Services of an experienced Cruise Director
- Gratuities for Cruise Director and crew
- Special on board and on shore experiences designed to enrich your cruise.
- On board lectures, activities and nightly piano music
- Captain's welcome and farewell receptions with sparkling wine and canapes; Welcome Dinner; Farewell Dinner
- All transfers, local port charges and airport taxes
- Complimentary Wifi (signal permitting)
Wine Appreciation Cruise
- Learn to distinguish your grand cru from your premier on a Wine Appreciation cruise. A distinguished Master of Wine will teach you what to look for in a good wine through on-board tastings and a special food and wine pairing dinner, with trips to wine villages, vineyards and famous cellars for tours and tastings in a very special atmosphere