Avalon Waterways Active Discovery on the Rhine River Cruise 2019
Explore famous and lesser-known treasures along the Rhine in this new type of river cruise that begins in Wiesbaden, Germany, and ends in Amsterdam. Hike near Eltville, and in the idyllic landscape around Duisburg, climb up to Marksburg Castle for spectacular views, participate in a Roman Games re-enactment in Xanten, cycle along the river, or join a running tour in Amsterdam. Discover regional wines in Eltville, the art of chocolate-making in Cologne, and German cuisine in Duisburg. Walk the dark, glassy corridors of an ancient volcano and visit Zollverein’s UNESCO-listed coal mine on this multifarious voyage of discovery.
Fly to Frankfurt where you will be met and transferred to your ship. The day is yours to explore Mainz.
Active Excursion: Join a Guided Nature Walk along one of the Rheinsteig walking trails through Eltville idyllic forests and vineyards
Discovery Excursion: Join a guided walk through the historic Old Town of Eltville am Rhein, well known as the City of Wine, with wine tasting included
Classic Excursion: Discover the Romanesque Beauty of Eberbach Monestery, the location of almost all the interior scenes of the film version of Umberto Eco's dark medieval murder mystery "The Name of Rose"
This evening, enjoy dinner on board while cruising to Bingen.
Enjoy lunch on board as you cruise through the spectacular Rhine Gorge on your way to Boppard.
Active Excursion: Take a guided tour of Marksburg Castle, visit its battlements overlooking the Rhine, and walk down the surrounding hillside back to your ship
Discover Excursion: Join a unique guided volcano experience in the “Lava City” of Mendig, and walk the mining corridors where basalt (cold lava) was mined
Classic Excrusion: Take a guided walk of ancient Koblenz with a cable car ride to Ehrenbreitstein Castle for a spectacular panoramic view.
At day’s end, you’ll dine aboard your ship as you cruise to Engers.
Start your day with a morning stretch with your Avalon Adventure Host after an early morning cruise to Born. Enjoy lunch on board as you sail to Cologne.
Active Excursion: Join a Running Tour and discover Cologne from a different point of view
Discovery Excursion: Join an off-the-beaten-path guided tour to discover the Belgian Quarter of Cologne
Discovery Excursion: Visit Cologne’s Chocolate Museum and learn the process of chocolate production and ancient history of this food of the gods
Classic Excursion: Take a guided city walk of Cologne to explore the Old City and see its soaring twin-steepled Gothic cathedral.
Enjoy live entertainment on board this evening.
This morning you might join a Guided Optional Excursion to Düsseldorf’s microbreweries to try a variety of Altbiers. Later, cruise to Duisburg.
Active Excursion: Join a guided hike through the idyllic landscapes and forests around Duisburg
Discovery Excursion: Take a guided culinary walk through the multicultural Metropolis of the Ruhr Region and experience authentic German specialities
Classic Excursion: Visit the Zollverein Coal Mine in a guided tour of the historic complex of buildings and equipment for coal extraction and treatment.
Active Excursion: Go on a hike in the Hoge Veluwe National Park with a Nature Expert and discover its abundance of wildlike, including deer, wild boar and mouflon (wild sheep)
Discovery Excursion: Join a Guided sightseeing Tour of Arnhem's courageous past with impressive monuments and places of rememberance
Classic Excursion: Take a Guided Tour of Arnhem's Kroller-Muller Museum with the worlds second largest Van Gogh collection.
Active Excursion: Take a guided running tour to explore Amsterdam with a local guide—with stops for commentary at an easy pace
Discovery Excursion: Attend a painting class and be inspired by the masters’ techniques. Paint your own canvas and discover your inner artist
Discovery Excursion: Join a culinary walk and sample savory and sweet Dutch specialities
Classic Excursion: Enjoy a guided canal cruise to explore the iconic waterways of Amsterdam. Later, take an off-the-beaten-path guided tour with your local guide.
This afternoon you might take a Guided Optional Bike Excursion through the Dutch countryside, or spend free time strolling at leisure through the galleries and cafés of Amsterdam. Later, enjoy a Farewell Dinner on board your ship.
Today transfer to the airport for your return journey to the UK.
|11 May 2019 (reversed)||£1,979|
|18 May 2019||£2,059|
|08 June 2019 (reversed)||£2,059|
|15 June 2019||£2,059|
|06 July 2019 (reversed)||£2,059|
|13 July 2019||£2,059 Cat D Deluxe Stateroom|
|03 August 2019 (reversed)||£2,059|
|10 August 2019||£2,059|
|31 August 2019 (reversed)||£2,299|
|07 September 2019||£2,299|
|28 September 2019 (reversed)||£2,199|
|05 October 2019||£2,199|
- Savings of up to £1,850 per couple when you book by 28th February 2019!*
- £49 per person deposit when you book by 31st March 2019
- Free flights when you book by 28th February 2019
- Complimentary VIP Private Door-to-Door Home Pick-Up Service by Executive Car - Included on all sailings!†
- 7 nights deluxe accommodation in a spacious stateroom with Avalon's exclusive Comfort Collection® style beds, en-suite facilities and river views
- Return Flights from London, regional flights are available but may carry a supplement.
- All meals on board including full breakfast , buffet lunch and waiter service evening meal; afternoon tea with cakes and sweet treats; midnight snack, choice of premium teas and coffees & soft drinks throughout the day. Wine and beer is included with lunch and dinner. Dinner is included at the Budapest hotel
- Included excursions and sightseeing trips with Local Guides and a choice of optional tours; headsets provided on excursions
- Services of an experienced Cruise Director
- Gratuities for Cruise Director and crew
- On board lectures, activities and nightly piano music
- Captain's Welcome Reception, Welcome Dinner and Farewell Gala Dinner
- All transfers, local port charges and airport taxes
- Complimentary Wifi (signal permitting)