Grand Bordeaux 2020 APT River Cruise
Over 8 days, cruise Bordeaux’s three majestic waterways –the Dordogne, Garonne and the Gironde – experience the pleasant French villages, towns and cities perched on their banks.
Upon arrival, you will be met at the airport and transferred to your river ship. After settling in, live it up at a welcome reception tonight.
Enjoy a peaceful morning cruising along the Garonne and Dordogne rivers, taking in the scenery along the way. In Saint-Émilion, head to the underground Monolithic Church, then enjoy some free time to explore. Tonight, enjoy your Signature Experience.
SIGNATURE EXPERIENCE This evening, we have arranged a fine wine tasting followed by a private dinner at Château de Ferrand. This regal château dates back to the 17th-century, while the current owners, the Bich family, were founders of the famous Bic company. Like a modern day dynasty, it is now managed by a Bich family member, who has since married into the Chandon-Moët family.
Discover Blaye and take a stroll around the 17th-century citadel, as well as its underground passages. Later, cycle past châteaux on the banks of the Gironde Estuary, then follow the Captain’s Road past the Côtes de Bourg wine region to Bourg, set at the confluence of the Dordogne and Garonne rivers. Otherwise if you want to take it easy, sail to Bourg and take a walking discovery of the town centre, medieval ramparts and stunning harbour.
From Libourne, choose your sightseeing. Later this afternoon, enjoy a peaceful cruise to Blaye.
FREEDOM OF CHOICE Discover Blaye and take a stroll around the 17th-century citadel, as well as its underground passages. Later, cycle past châteaux on the banks of the Gironde Estuary, then follow the Captain’s Road past the Côtes de Bourg wine region to Bourg, set at the confluence of the Dordogne and Garonne rivers. Otherwise if you want to take it easy, sail to Bourg and take a walking discovery of the town centre, medieval ramparts and stunning harbour.
SIGNATURE EXPERIENCE: Visit Château Giscours, a 19th-century Grand Cru Classé estate in the renowned Margaux region. Here, it is only fitting that an estate tour and wine tasting is on the cards. The sun-drenched vineyards of Aquitaine are on display as you cruise into Pauillac. Disembark your ship and journey through the famous Médoc wine region. During a visit to a local cooperage, see how wooden wine barrels are made. Afterwards, enjoy your Signature Experience.
FREEDOM OF CHOICE Perhaps visit Château de Cazeneuve, once the home of King Henry IV of France. Or discover Château de la Brède, then travel to Sauternes to try the region’s famous dessert wine. If you want to take it easy, you can remain on board your ship, where the true flavour of France will be brought to you as you participate in a cheese tasting.
FREEDOM OF CHOICE: Take in Bordeaux’s unique blend of 18th-century and contemporary architecture and uncover the secrets behind certain buildings. Alternatively, embark on a culinary exploration of Bordeaux as you indulge in a charcuterie and cheese tasting, or for the golf enthusiasts, you can play a round at a renowned course.
The choice is entirely yours for today’s sightseeing inclusion. Tonight’s captain’s farewell dinner is the perfect way to bid farewell to your new-found friends and crew.
Disembark your ship and transfer to the airport for your return flight to the UK.
|Date||Fares from (pp)|
|24 September 2020||£3,845|
- 8-Day All Inclusive 5* River Cruise on board one of APT’s luxurious Aria River Ships
- Return scheduled flights from the UK
- All meals, plus complimentary beverages served at your discretion on board. This does not include French Champagne, premium spirits and selected wines - these are available at an additional charge
- APT Cruise Director and expert local guides
- All sightseeing and on board entertainment
- Unique or exclusive Signature Invitations
- Freedom of Choice™ inclusions
- Overseas transfers, all port charges and tipping
- Fall For Saint Émilion - Spend an afternoon exploring Saint Émilion, and enjoy a glass of bubbly at the underground cellars of Les Cordeliers
- Dine At A French Chateau - Enjoy the rare privilege of being entertained in Chateau Royal de Cazeneuve amongst the vineyards of Bordeaux
- Visit A Family-Owned Cooperage - Visit one of Bordeaux's finest cooperages to discover local wine making traditions and see how oak barrels are made