Douro Delights 2021 APT River Cruise
Enjoy the Portuguese culinary delights and regional wines while you take a seven night luxury river cruise from Porto to Barca d'Alva along the historical Douro River and enjoy a one night stay in Madrid.
Fly from the UK to Porto. On arrival, be met and transferred to your river ship for a Captain’s Welcome Reception.
SIGNATURE EXPERIENCE: Tonight you’ll head to the Palácio da Bolsa for a cocktail reception and traditional Fado performance in the Arabian Hall.
FREEDOM OF CHOICE: Explore Porto’s 16th-century Old Town and take a cable car ride before sampling a few selections of port. Alternatively, head to Matosinhos and pop in at a traditional restaurant for a cooking demonstration, or set off on foot for a walking tour through the medieval streets and the old harbour quarter of Ribeira.
This morning we’ve lined up an excursion for you to Guimaraes. The evolution of medieval settlement is on show here, and you will learn all about it with a tour. Back on board, cruise through the Douro Valley on your way to Entre-Os-Rios. When you arrive, take the chance to visit Quinta da Avelada, a family business that has been producing wine in the Douro region since the 1870s. Explore their gardens, and tie off the day with a sampling of wine and cheese.
Cruising to Régua this morning, take some time to soak up the sun. Once you’ve arrived, you’ll visit the Douro Museum which provides an incredible insight into the culture of the Douro Valley wine region.
FREEDOM OF CHOICE: On a tour of Lamego, you’ll visit the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Remedies and sample a local speciality, bola de Lamego. Smoked ham, home-baked bread, and gooey cheese - how could you go wrong? Otherwise, you might visit Quinta da Pacheca for a picnic with views over the Douro River and Régua.
Take a trip to Palacio de Mateus, located near the city of Vila Real. Portuguese architect, Nicolau Nasoni, played a pivotal role in the palace’s construction in the 18th century. It is also well-known courtesy of the bottles of Mateus Rosé wine that feature the palace on its label. At the end of it all, you’ll be treated to the captain’s farewell dinner.
SIGNATURE EXPERIENCE: Visit the vineyard, Quinta da Roêda for a traditional lunch and tasting of port.
On a tour of the town of Figueira de Castelo Rodrigo, you’ll stop for to visit the castle ruins. Returning on board, dig in to a delicious dinner. Your thoughts will be fixed on Spain during your final night on board.
Disembark in Barca d’Alva today and travel to the ancient city of Salamanca. During a tour, see the University of Salamanca and the House of Shells. Afterwards, continue to your hotel in Madrid, whereIn Barca d’Alva you’ll disembark your ship and say goodbye to life on board. Hit the road and travel to the ancient city of Salamanca for a tour. You’ll see the University of Salamanca and the House of Shells before continuing to your hotel in Madrid. Tonight is yours to spend as you please.
This morning, transfer to the airport for your return flight to the UK.
|Date||Fares from (pp)|
|11 May 2021||£3,795|
|8 June 2021||£3,795|
|31 August 2021||£3,795|
|14 September 2021||£3,995|
- Savings of up to £1,000pp - book by 31 January 2021
- Home-to-airport transfers by Private Car†
- Return scheduled flights from the UK
- Overnight at the stylish Westin Palace Madrid
- 7 nights cruising aboard APT’s stylish MS AmaVida
- Includes 22 meals - Enjoy 8 Breakfasts, 7 Lunches and 7 Dinners
- All meals included on board your cruise, starting with a lavish breakfast each morning
- Complimentary beverages served at your discretion on board
- Gala Welcome Dinner and the Captain’s Farewell Dinner
- Visit Casa de Vila Verde, where you’ll enjoy a tour of the manor, followed by a glass of their famous Vinho Verde before a traditional dinner
- Head to a local winery in Pinh\xC3£o where you’ll enjoy the superb flavours of the region during a delicious dinner and wine tasting
- Excursions and entertainment included