Classical Rhine 2019 Amadeus River Cruise
Discover the many beautiful facets of “Father Rhine” during this week-long cruise along one of the most important and attractive rivers of Europe. Along the way you will pass the Dutch Ijsselmeer and take a detour along the winding Moselle River. Delight in the panorama of the myth-enshrouded Middle Rhine Valley with its winelands, the prominent Lorelei rock, and the highest density of castles in the world. Further highlights of this trip include visit to the very historic river cities of Amsterdam, Cologne, Strasbourg and Basel.
Embark the vessel and get settled into your cabin. This evening, enjoy a Welcome Cocktail, followed by a specially-prepared Welcome Dinner.
This morning arrive in the dynamic capital of Alsace. This beautiful city’s sights include the famous cathedral Straßburger Münster and the Petite France quarter, a former mill and tanner district that still maintains its medieval charm. Half-timbered houses, the Ponts Couverts, the Palais de Rohan, the Council of Europe are among the wonders that Strasbourg holds in store for you. The Grand Island, the city centre, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is connected to the rest of the city by 22 stone bridges. After lunch on board, take in the views of the romantic Rhine as we move towards Switzerland, our final destination.
After breakfast, sail to Speyer, a city known for its cathedral where eight Roman Emperors and German Kings are interred. The Old Town Gate, Memorial Church, and Transportation Museum are all highlights of this beautiful city. This afternoon’s call is at Mannheim. This unique city has many sights to see including the University of Mannheim, the National Theater Mannheim, and St. Sebastian’s Church. It is also home to Luisenpark, one of the most beautiful parks in all of Germany. Nearby Heidelberg is another old university city which is also a worthwhile visit.
This morning arrive in Rüdesheim, a winemaking town in the Rhine Gorge. Discover the region’s rich history of winemaking – perhaps visit the local museum – a great place to start. This afternoon, spend time on deck as we cruise the most beautiful section of the river – the legendary Upper Middle Rhine Valley. Late this afternoon, the vessel arrives in Koblenz, ideally situated at the confluence of the Rhine and the Moselle rivers. The Franks, the Holy Roman Empire, the French, and the Germans have all had a hand in this strategic city’s 2000 year history. St. Castor Basilica, the Church of our Beloved Lady, and the Emperor Kaiser Wilhelm’s memorial at the German Corner, are just a few of the sites which reflect the history of the area. Back on board, your crew awaits with a delicious dinner.
Today your Amadeus vessel takes a special trip down the romantic Moselle river, the largest tributary of the Rhine, and anchors at the old town of Cochem. The scenery in the Moselle Valley has been dominated by vineyards for millennia. Cochem itself has narrow streets, twisting alleys, medieval town gates, churches and walls. Discover the beauty of Cochem and perhaps sample some of the Riesling wines produced in this region. This evening set off towards Cologne.
After lunch, arrive into the beautiful city of Cologne. Every year visitors from all over the world are drawn to the historical city and its 2000-year history. Explore the historic Old Town, visit the famous twin-spired Cologne Cathedral, or perhaps sample some of the famous Kölsch beer brewed in Cologne. There are many medieval houses, bridges, and gates that will delight the historian in you, while the more modern skyscrapers that tower overhead are sure to impress. After an exciting day, we return to the vessel and make our way south. Tonight, enjoy the Captain’s Gala Dinner after your exciting day.
Sail to the cheese town of Hoorn, before taking a scenic canal boat tour through the countryside to Amsterdam. Enjoy some free time in Amsterdam where you could choose to visit Anne Frank's House, talk a stroll around the flower market or admire some art in one of the many galleries.
After breakfast your transfer will take you to the airport or station for your return journey to the UK.
|31 October 2019||£1,699|
- Return Flights or Rail travel from London and overseas transfers
- 8 Day river cruise on board Amadeus Silver II
- Services of an experienced, multilingual Cruise Director
- Gourmet dining with all meals included (buffet breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snack) in the elegant Panorama-Restaurant, which accommodates all guests in one seating
- Quality red & white wines from Europe’s famous wine regions, beer and soft drinks with every lunch and dinner on board
- Coffee and tea after lunch and dinner
- 24-hour complimentary coffee/tea station
- Cocktail Reception, Welcome Dinner and Captain’s Gala Dinner
- Special on board entertainment including talks, cooking demonstration, on board music performances and nightly music by the Amadeus Duo in the Panorama-Bar
- Fitness room (open 24 hours)
- Complimentary use of on board bicycles
- Non-smoking environment (smoking permitted on the Sun Deck)
- All port taxes, embarkation, disembarkation and lock fees
Free Excursion Packages
- FREE Excrusions – Includes City tour of Strasbourg | Excursion to Heidelberg | Walking tour of Koblenz | Walking tour of Cologne | City tour of Amsterdam with canal trip and North Holland