Classical Danube 2019 Amadeus River Cruise
This cruise begins in Passau and then downstream along the Danube to Budapest, Hungary's exuberant capital. Highlights are sightseeing visits to Regensburg, Passau, Salzburg, Vienna and Bratislava.
A visit to the Benedictine abbey of Melk and a drive through the picturesque Wachau district are also memorable. On this journey you get to know much about the heart of Europe - its countries, peoples and cultures.
Please note all excursions mentioned in the itinerary are not included but can be purchased pre-cruise.
This afternoon, embark the vessel and get settled into your cabin. This evening, enjoy a Welcome Cocktail, followed by a specially-prepared Welcome Dinner.
Begin your cruise with a visit to Regensburg. This UNESCO site boasts architecture from many centuries, reflective of its varied history throughout the centuries. The stone bridge, built in 1135-1146, the Church of St James, and the Schloss of Thurn and Taxis are a few of the highlights of this beautiful city. Back onboard this evening, experience a Bavarian evening with lively traditional music and a dinner of local specialities.
Today, those interested in excursions have all of three options. A morning walking tour through the Baroque center of Passau will provide insight into the history of the town. Alternatively, you can take part in a full day excursion in a comfortable tour bus, which will visit the Mozart town of Salzburg and the lake district of the Salzkammergut. Both excursions end in Linz, where you will return to your ship. The guests who do not take the bus to Salzburg can spend the afternoon on their own or take a guided tour through this Upper Austrian town before the ship weighs anchor in the evening.
This morning presents an opportunity to visit the famous Benedictine Abbey of Melk which stands over the Danube, or continue with the vessel to the town of Weissenkirchen. Here, sample some of the region’s famous Riesling wines or enjoy a leisurely stroll through the cobbled streets. Everyone will rejoin the ship in the early afternoon to continue on to Vienna.
There is much to see in Imperial Vienna: its Imperial palaces, Museums Quarter with historic and contemporary buildings displaying works by Egon Schiele, Gustav Klimt and other artists, the impressive buildings along the Ringstrasse, St. Stephen’s Cathedral and the famous Vienna State Opera among many others. This afternoon perhaps venture to Schönbrunn Palace, the sumptuous summer palace and gardens of Empress Maria Theresia and the Habsburg empire. In the evening opt for the “Sound of Vienna” and listen to the “Alt Wien” orchestra play popular pieces from Vienna’s classical era. The vessel departs Vienna in the early hours.
During the night, your AMADEUS ship will travel downriver towards Bratislava, arriving in the Slovakian capital at breakfast time. In the morning, you can go exploring on your own or as part of a guided city tour. In the afternoon, it is worth visiting the Imperial Festschloss Hof, which was once the country residence of Empress Maria Theresia and which is situated in Austria, not far from the Slovakian border. After the exclusive Captain’s Gala Dinner, the ship will set sail for Hungary.
Relax onboard as the vessel makes its way to Budapest, Hungary. For those interested in exploring the Hungarian countryside, spend the morning visiting Esztergom and its Basilica dedicated to Saint Mary, and Szentendre, known for its art galleries and museums. After lunch, explore the beautiful Hungarian capital of Budapest. Uniquely straddling the Danube river, the Buda side with its Fisherman’s Bastion and the Pest Side with its famous Hungarian Parliament building, are connected by the beautiful Chain Bridge. An evening cruise onboard your AMADEUS vessel along the illuminated skyline, accompanied by a folklore show of music and dance, is a perfect ending to your visit.
After breakfast, bid farewell to your Amadeus River Cruise Ship. Your transfer will take you to the airport for your flight to the UK.
|10 May 2019 (in reverse)||£1,779|
|16 May 2019||£1,869|
|17 May 2019 (in reverse)||£1,889|
|20 June 2019||£1,869|
|29 June 2019||£1,729|
|30 July 2019||£1,789|
|06 August 2019 (in reverse)||£1,729|
|30 August 2019 (in reverse)||£1,729|
|06 September 2019||£1,869|
- Savings of 10% if booked by 28th February 2019*
- Return Flights from London and overseas transfers
- 8 Day river cruise on board Amadeus Brilliant, Queen, or Star
- Services of an experienced, multilingual Cruise Director
- Gourmet dining with all meals included (buffet breakfast, lunch, dinner and midnight snack) in the elegant Panorama-Restaurant, which accommodates all guests in one seating
- Quality red & white wines from Europe’s famous wine regions, beer and soft drinks with every lunch and dinner on board
- Coffee and tea after lunch and dinner
- 24-hour complimentary coffee/tea station
- Cocktail Reception, Welcome Dinner and Captain’s Gala Dinner
- Special on board entertainment including talks, cooking demonstration, on board music performances and nightly music by the AMADEUS Duo in the Panorama-Bar
- Fitness room (open 24 hours)
- Complimentary use of on board bicycles
- Non-smoking environment (smoking permitted on the Sun Deck)
- All port taxes, embarkation, disembarkation and lock fees
- Optional excursions are available from £13pp. Pre book a package and save 15%.