Portugal's River of Gold 2018 Viking River Cruise
Discover Portugal’s true beauty and rich past. Sail the Douro, Portugal's River of Gold, through an ancient land of tiny villages clustered around historic churches, monasteries and castles. Discover baroque palaces and resplendent manor houses. Admire tranquil landscapes with vineyards stacked up the hillsides on narrow terraces, and see rabelo boats heavily laden with casks of port wine. This unforgettable journey includes a two-night hotel stay in the capital, Lisbon, and memories you will cherish.
Day 1: Fly UK » Lisbon
From Lisbon airport we take you to your hotel for a two-night stay. Settle in and relax, or head out and begin to explore this lovely city.
Day 2: Lisbon
Enjoy an included half-day tour of Lisbon with a visit to the Tower of Belém and the Monastery of Jerónimos; both UNESCO World Heritage sites. Take a walking tour of the narrow streets of the Alfama District and discover Lisbon's multicultural history. Tonight you are free to discover Lisbon's restaurants. Why not head to the marina to enjoy dinner with a wonderful view?
Day 3: Coimbra and Porto
After breakfast, check out of your hotel and enjoy a drive along the coast to Porto, stopping for lunch at Coimbra. Take a tour of Coimbra University, the oldest in Portugal, and see the amazing library. In Porto, after boarding your ship, settle in and relax.
Day 4: Porto
Enjoy an included city tour of Porto, its historic centre is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Admire its graceful bridges and baroque cathedrals set among narrow cobbled streets. Indulge in some port wine tasting before returning to your ship for lunch. In the afternoon, explore Porto on your own, or you may wish to take an optional excursion to Guimarães with its medieval quarter.
Day 5: Régua and Pinhão
Arrive in Régua in the late morning. After lunch, take an included tour of Vila Real, site of the Mateus Palace, a stunning Baroque building that is depicted on the Mateus Rosé wine label. Built in 1745, it is considered a perfect example of Baroque architecture, and its gardens are among the most beautiful in Europe. In the afternoon, visit Quinta do Seixo, the renowned Sandeman port wine-making centre where you can tour the cellars, learn how these wonderful wines are crafted, and enjoy tasting some. Rejoin your ship in Pinhão for dinner.
Day 6: Douro River and Barca d'Alva
Spend the morning sailing past dramatic sheer rock formations and terraced vineyards. In the afternoon, enjoy an included visit to Castelo Rodrigo, one of Portugal's 12 historic parishes. Here you will see Sinagoga Street, a reminder of the Jewish community established by refugees from the Spanish Inquisition.
Day 7: Salamanca and Vega de Terrón
Drive to the medieval, UNESCO-listed Spanish city of Salamanca on an included full-day excursion. Enjoy free time to explore Plaza Mayor, one of the most beautiful squares in Spain. Lunch is at a local restaurant and features a traditional flamenco performance. Your guided city tour takes you to the Gothic House of Shells, the 13th-century Salamanca University and the New Cathedral that is actually 500 years old.
Day 8: Douro River and Pinhão
Enjoy another morning of scenic sailing along the Douro. From Pinhão, take a drive through the beautiful countryside to the charming village of Favaios as part of your included excursion and learn about local breadmaking in one of Portugal's last traditional bakeries. Enjoy lunch at Quinta da Avessada, a picturesque winery in the heart of the Douro Wine District. Here you'll sample some varieties of port, such as Moscatel from Favaios. You'll rejoin your ship in Pinhão where you'll remain docked overnight.
Day 9: Régua and Porto
Sail to Réguafor an included excursion to Lamego, a town famous for its Baroque Sanctuary of Our Lady of Remedies church, dating back to the 14th century. Visit the shrine, decorated with exquisite tile work in the Moorish style. You will also see the town's Gothic cathedral and the ruins of the 12th-century Lamego Castle. Return to your ship for lunch and scenic afternoon sailing back towards Porto. Enjoy a Farewell Dinner; we are docked in Porto overnight so you are free to enjoy an evening stroll or after-dinner drink ashore.
Day 10: Porto » Fly UK
After breakfast, we take you to Porto airport for your return flight to the UK.
|Date||Fares from (pp)||Save up to (pp)|
Extend Your Cruise
Extend your stay, pre or post cruise, with these great value cruise extensions! Simply give our award winning team a call for full details on 0800 810 8220
- 2 Nights pre cruise stay in Lisbon from only £329pp
- 3 Nights pre cruise stay in Madrid from only £449pp
- 2 Nights post cruise "Road to Santiago" stay from only £329pp
- EARLY BOOKING DISCOUNT: Save up to £1,000pp if booked by 31st July.
- Return scheduled flights from London, Birmingham, Edinburgh or Manchester (supplements may apply for regionals)
- 8 days on board in a river-view stateroom
- 2 nights at Lisbon’s superior first-class Hotel Tivoli Lisboa (or similar) with breakfast
- 8 guided tours, including 5 UNESCO sites
- Monastery and Tower of Belém in Lisbon, University of Coimbra, Porto’s historic centre, Old city of Salamanca, Alto Douro wine region
- Included meals: 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners, featuring regional specialities
- Specially selected house wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner on board
- Free Wi-Fi on board (restrictions may apply)
- Sample some local port wines; enjoy a folkloric music performance; learn about wine-making traditions and Portuguese history; attend a flamenco show
- All port charges, airport taxes and overseas transfers
- PRICE GUARANTEE: Once you have paid in full for your trip, you are safe from any additional charges. Airfare increases, currency fluctuations, increased fuel surcharges, new government taxes—none of these will apply to you.